All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seal Bad Sectors
PostPosted: June 21st, 2018, 1:58 

How to seal the bad sectors of a hard drive so that it cannot be addressed by the OS and cause BSOD ? Thanks in advance !

Post subject: Re: Seal Bad Sectors
PostPosted: June 22nd, 2018, 5:16 

Normally if you write over the entire surface it will force the bad sectors to be reallocated, i.e. replaced by “spare” sectors. You can do that with Hard Disk Sentinel (a commercial software), but a simple “low level format” does the same thing basically (just with no options and no visibility on the advancement of the operation). Obviously all the data on the drive has to be backed up before (if it's not already as it should be), since this operation will erase everything ! But if the bad sectors are related to a weakening of the magnetic coat, due to old age or a natively weak coating, just accessing sectors nearby might cause the same issues and expand the bad area. If you know for sure that all the bad sectors are located in a particular area (you can see that with a read scan, it can be done with free tools, here they often recommand MHDD and Victoria, there's also a free version of HDTune which may be more newbie-friendly), you can re-partition the drive in such a way that this area stays unallocated – but it's not so easily done, and it's not recommanded anyway to store even remotely important data on a HDD which has more than a few bad sectors, a few being about 5 I would say (the HDD in my laptop computer has had three ever since I bought it second-hand, it's been stable so I don't worry about it ; but each time a drive has had 8 or more appearing all of a sudden, it has deteriorated quickly afterwards).