All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice needed for dead harddrive
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2018, 13:40 

Dear HDD experts,

I have a 2TB 3.5" Seagate harddrive which I have not used for sometime. I tried to connect using a brand new 3.5 hdd reader but it did not detect the drive on My Computer.

1) Using disk management, the hdd is detected as "unknown" without storage capacity, as disk 2.

2) I tried initialising (out of desperation and I have bought the EaseUS recovery software) but the message is "Incorrect Function"

3) I also tried swapping the PCB with one I have bought from Ebay (same model no) but did not swap the BIOS chip because I lack the expertise in it.

4) I tried Diskpart but upon creating primary partition, it shows "Incorrect Function" too.

Is there any other way I can access the hdd?

I asked around the data recovery companies and minimally they are charging more than a 1000 dollars...

Please help as I do not earn much and could not afford a hdd recovery service, thus seeking help and advice from all the experts here.

Thank you all in advance!!!

Warmest regards,
ween0001

Post subject: Re: Advice needed for dead harddrive
PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 5:17 

Spildit wrote:
- Please post the FULL MODEL of the hard drive

- Do connect the drive directly by SATA to your motherboard (desktop). Does the BIOS detect the drive ? Does it make any starnge noise ? Does th drive spin at all ?

- Of course place te ORIGINAL PCB back to the drive. IT'S MANDATORY TO HAVE THE NATIVE ROM. IF YOU DAMAGE ROM ON YOUR DRIVE IS GAME OVER.

- Do not try to use data recovery software directly on the drive even if the drive is detected by BIOS. You need to CLONE the drive first to another working one using something like hddsuperclone and only then extract the data to a 3rd drive.

- DO NOT CREATE PARTITIONS / FORMAT / WHATEVER !!!! You need your data, correct ?

- If the drive does have a firmware issue only $1000 or more is a very high price. You should get away with $600 or even lower on the majority of places unless you have phisical damage (damaged heads, etc ...)

- You need a TTL adaptor if you do want to attempt a do-it-yourself fix but this is VERY LIMITED and depends of the drive type that you do have. Safest way includes backing up firmware and you can't do that without specialized tools.

- If the drive does have media cache problems, dos table problems and needs patching of sysfile 93 so that you can image/clone the drive the "fix" shouldn't be that expensive.

- If you do value your data please think carefully if you do want to continue and risk damaging the drive for good.

If you do want to continue by your own please state the full model of the drive.

Regards.

Hihi, thank you for your reply to my issue.

The model of the harddisk is:
1) Seagate Barracuda 2000GB
2) Model: ST2000DM001
3) PN: 9YN164 - 500
4) FW: CC4B
5) WWN: 5000C50040571F41
6) DATE: 12386; SITE: TK

Basically
1) I could not access the hdd at all,

2) Only the diskmanagement can detect it as an unknown device, no indication of storage capacity, cannot be initialised -- INCORRECT FUNCTION

3) PCB has been switched back to the original piece

4) Diskpart cannot create primary partition -- INCORRECT FUNCTION

Is there any other way I can access the HDD?

Thanks a lot for the advice and help! :)

Warmest regards,
Ween0001

PostPosted: June 26th, 2018, 22:14 

Does it spin? Do you hear any noise from drive?

PostPosted: June 26th, 2018, 22:56 

drHDD wrote:
Does it spin? Do you hear any noise from drive?

The weird thing is I did not hear anything from the drive, like it is not spinning at all. :(

Warmest regards,
Ween0001