All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WD lifeguard program information
PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 8:53 

I have WD 10EZEX. What does this reading mean in WD lifeguard in column warranty? I didn`t find anything in program manual. HDD ok?

Post subject: Re: WD lifeguard program information
PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 9:25 

This is S.M.A.R.T (Self-Monitoring Analyzing and Reporting Technology) attributes and it shows that your drive is healthy and working normally.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 11:38 

unknown wrote:
This is S.M.A.R.T (Self-Monitoring Analyzing and Reporting Technology) attributes and it shows that your drive is healthy and working normally.

I know that :D I was aksing for column warranty. In some column there is value 1 in other is value 0. Why is that?

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 12:38 

lorca wrote:
unknown wrote:

I know that :D I was aksing for column warranty. In some column there is value 1 in other is value 0. Why is that?

Google "WD lifeguard warranty column" and read the answers, e.g. this one.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 13:21 

LarrySabo wrote:
lorca wrote:
unknown wrote:

Google "WD lifeguard warranty column" and read the answers, e.g. this one.

Thanks. As I understood this column represents which Smart status are qualified for warranty if it falls below normal level. That means mine HDD is perfectly fine

PostPosted: June 25th, 2018, 18:43 

Data LifeGuard doesn't report the raw values of each attribute. For that you need a better tool such as CrystalDiskInfo or smartmontools, etc.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2018, 2:56 

Crystal disk info

Seems like everything is OK.

What is the overall opinion on the reliability of WD10EZEX? From time to time I read some complaints about them...

PostPosted: June 26th, 2018, 4:54 

This is site for HDD professionals , not for dummies.
Find another place to ask your stupid questions!

PostPosted: June 26th, 2018, 8:20 

lorca wrote:
What is the overall opinion on the reliability of WD10EZEX? From time to time I read some complaints about them...

I don't know about that particular model but BackBlaze's 2018-Q1 report on reliability gives reason to be concerned. Here are the lifetime reliability stats sorted by confidence interval-high. Most reliable drives are at the top of the list.
Attachment:
BackBlaze Lifetime Drive Reliability Stats - 2013-2018-Q1, by Confidence High.jpg
BackBlaze Lifetime Drive Reliability Stats - 2013-2018-Q1, by Confidence High.jpg [ 183.9 KiB | Viewed 7926 times ]

PostPosted: June 26th, 2018, 17:15 

@BGMan :
Quote:
This is site for HDD professionals , not for dummies.
Find another place to ask your stupid questions!

Dunno what others think of this (including bona fide professionals), but I find it damn rude, and kinda stupid in and of itself. I see many questions here asked by “dummies”, and some dummies ask them once it's too late, once they already did something foolish like opening a HDD to see if there's sumthin' inside that they can fix with duct tape and a screwdriver... The OP here at least is cautious (better safe than sorry !), and although basic the question is still interesting. If he or she (strangely I get the feeling that you wouldn't have reacted so rudely if you had had a hint that the OP could be a she, or someone very young or very old maybe) prefered to ask experts directly, it may be related to the fact that on a technical subject with scarcely available primary information (i.e. data provided by the manufacturers regarding their own specifications and methods of measurements), a Google search can and will lead to a large amount of stupid bullshit. And if this forum was solely “for HDD professionals” there wouldn't be an entire section called “Knowledge base”. Besides, serious experts in any activity know that one can learn sometimes from someone operating at a much lower knowledge level, and that a good teacher always learns from his pupils (I heard this from Jean-Claude Van Damme ! :) ) ; with true knowledge comes modesty, and one doesn't get very far with such a closed-minded attitude.

@LarrySabo
Quote:
I don't know about that particular model but BackBlaze's 2018-Q1 report on reliability gives reason to be concerned. Here are the lifetime reliability stats sorted by confidence interval-high. Most reliable drives are at the top of the list.

It should be noted that the operating conditions for HDD used in the intensive environment of storage “pods” by an online backup provider are vastly different from those of drives used in a regular consumer environment, inside a computer case or an external enclosure. From what I could gather, normally such providers should use industrial grade models, but they opt for cheap consumer grade models instead so as to reduce the overall cost of operation, and so those drives may be stressed beyond their specifications, thus making those figures irrelevant (although it's still good to know that a particular model can withstand those heavy-duty conditions with a very good degree of reliability).
And it's also worth noting that Seagate drives, which have an abysmally bad reputation on this forum, have quite good failure rates this time (I've seen older Backblaze reports where the figures were reversed : Seagate drives had generally higher failure rates, up to 5-10% on some models, while WDC drives were all within 1-2%).