All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rosewood Heads Matching Issues
PostPosted: July 7th, 2018, 10:09 

drHDD wrote:
I had similar issue. I just check several other donor heads and found good one for this particular drive. I don't see any big problems with rosewoods.

I haven't had any issues with Rosewoods until this particular case either. It just acts like none of the heads are compatible with it. What did you "check" with the donor heads to find a good one? Care to expound?

PostPosted: July 7th, 2018, 10:23 

Probably just a lot of trial an error for such cases.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2018, 2:22 

data-medics wrote:
What did you "check" with the donor heads to find a good one?

I tried several donor heads on probblem drive and found compatible heads for drive. I believe some drives are getting heads which is close to limits in which drive could work, so when something happened with original heads it is hard to find working heads for those drives.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2018, 12:02 

drHDD wrote:
data-medics wrote:
What did you "check" with the donor heads to find a good one?

I tried several donor heads on probblem drive and found compatible heads for drive. I believe some drives are getting heads which is close to limits in which drive could work, so when something happened with original heads it is hard to find working heads for those drives.

Well,
Its Simple man ,Some of the head match the adaptives of a particular patient better the the rest thats it ,Its nothing to do with preamp and matching this and that like some of the boys here are saying ,This was rare now its getting worse and worse

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2020, 16:54 

I know this is an old thread. Recently I ran into the same problem with a customer drive that no head wants to work in. Have tried 6 donor heads, all still work when I put them back in the donors. I examined the customers head under microscope. It has a different slider and the other side is slightly different also. So I went through every head I have in stock(so time consuming opening these drives). None of them have the same style slider. This was roughly 20 drives ranging from 2016-2020 and mix of TK and WU drives. I do have pictures of side by side comparison. New to the forum not sure how people feel about sharing openly. My main question, is there a way to tell from the label or the ROM which slider is in the drive? Obviously label is best, so I can find a donor for this case.

Thanks

PostPosted: September 6th, 2020, 7:21 

I’m guessing your patient is from early June 2016 or older?

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!

PostPosted: September 6th, 2020, 14:07 

Barnone wrote:
I know this is an old thread. Recently I ran into the same problem with a customer drive that no head wants to work in. Have tried 6 donor heads, all still work when I put them back in the donors. I examined the customers head under microscope. It has a different slider and the other side is slightly different also. So I went through every head I have in stock(so time consuming opening these drives). None of them have the same style slider. This was roughly 20 drives ranging from 2016-2020 and mix of TK and WU drives. I do have pictures of side by side comparison. New to the forum not sure how people feel about sharing openly. My main question, is there a way to tell from the label or the ROM which slider is in the drive? Obviously label is best, so I can find a donor for this case.

Thanks

I am not sure whether from ROM one can find the slider type, but yes preamp values are possible to get from ROM even without expensive tools. BTW, there are 2 different pre-amp used in Rosewood, C2 & 82, 82 is the most common one. could this be the problem ?

PostPosted: September 6th, 2020, 14:39 

Rosewood has no preamp compatibility issues (unless I know).

Usually the problem is that the SA is very degraded due to the constant use of it by the SMR units (also helps the fact that in this model the surfaces are made of "butter") and the heads are not able to read the firmware modules and servo tracks.

The solution in these cases?...I don't know.

You can make 100 changes and not get access....Sometimes if the adaptatives are very, very similar you can get access ....

PostPosted: September 6th, 2020, 15:12 

And even if you manage to get in, it won't be to throw rockets either, the heads will end up getting dirty/damaged again. It would only work if the data to be recovered is a small percentage. If the disk has a lot of data (if SA is degraded it would be the most probable) and all of them are important... for me, currently, stamp and back....

PostPosted: September 7th, 2020, 1:57 

Have only seen one of these older Rosewood drives with different slider, but have successfully recovered hundered af cases.
When you get to know them they are not that bad, actually start to like them :)

PostPosted: September 7th, 2020, 2:55 

Locating the Preamp ID in a Seagate F3 ROM:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=3008

PostPosted: September 7th, 2020, 5:06 

digisupport wrote:
When you get to know them they are not that bad, actually start to like them :)

In my case, I don't know how many more "dates" I have to have with them to meet them, because nowadays after many, many "meetings", they still seem like shit to me.

They have all the known problems together in only one model (surface damages (rings, headcrash), firmware problems ( a lot), surface degradation, stiction...etc).

It is true that in their favor is the torelance to the substitution of head blocks, one of the less critical models in this point especially compared to their brothers of the series 7200.11, 7200.12, barracuda etc.

In the previous post I referred to the cases in which, without an "apparent" reason the change of head blocks does not work.

I don't think users agree that they are not that bad, I understand that for the community it is an interesting and even attractive model, it gives work and is the current star in all laboratories, but it is also true, at least in my case, that it is the model that I diagnosed as "not recoverable" the most, that is not good news for the client nor for me.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2020, 16:28 

colanco wrote:
that it is the model that I diagnosed as "not recoverable" the most, that is not good news for the client nor for me.

no offense, but you need to work on your diagnosis on these drives. they are not as bad as you think.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2020, 19:19 

MindMergepk wrote:
no offense, but you need to work on your diagnosis on these drives. they are not as bad as you think.

I am not offended, I know I don't have absolute knowledge of how these units work.

But I also know that it is possible to recover data from a seagate F3 /Toshiba with damaged/losed ROM... for me it is unrecoverable...

I also know that it is possible to recover data on disks with rings on surfaces ... for me they are unrecoverable (although some I have recovered)

I also know that it is possible to recover from a sanforce... for me it is unrecoverable...

I also know that it is possible to recover from a molitith with pins in inner layers... for me it is irrecoverable....

etc....

I know my limitations, which as you see are many........... but I still think rosewood is shit....

PostPosted: September 8th, 2020, 3:21 

we are all digging deep in shit
:beer:

PostPosted: September 9th, 2020, 3:12 

pepe wrote:
we are all digging deep in shit
:beer:

:lol: :lol: :lol: