Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

WD 1tb not spinning

July 11th, 2018, 11:55

Newbie here.
So my imac wouldt turn on. I pressed power button a few times and heard a pop and then smelt burnt smell. Unplugged it and let it sit.
Now im trying to recover data. I removed hard drive and got a SATA cable. When I plug it in the light flashes on then off and that is it nothing. I cant hear anything.

The model number is WD1001fals-403AA0

Not sure what to do from here?
I have seen that i might be able to replae the board on the HD but not sure?

Thanks

Re: WD 1tb not spinning

July 11th, 2018, 14:54

If you hear absolutely nothing than it is possible that the board may be fried. Can you take a picture of the component side of the PCB. You will need a Torx T8 to take off the board.

Unfortunately you cannot just swap the board from another like drive and have it work. ( unless you get very lucky it is the same rom version). If it is a bad board you would need to swap the rom information over to a donor board.

But it is possible that this PCB has a TVS that has fried and it could be an easy fix to get the drive up to recover your data, but not for continued use.

July 11th, 2018, 14:55

There's a chance that the issue is just a blown TVS diode on the drive. That model typically has PCB number 2060-774640 which has TVS diodes on both the 5V and 12V rails.

Get yourself a multimeter and check for resistance across these two components. If either one reads dead short measured in both directions, it can simply be removed.

Just be sure you're running on a clean power supply, preferably plugged into a UPS battery, since removing that will expose other components to power surge damage.
Attachments
771640 TVS Locations.jpg

July 11th, 2018, 15:00

Thanks DM, I could not find one handy to take a picture and show. Usually the one I see damaged the most is the one on the far right at the edge of the PCB

July 11th, 2018, 16:20

Ok here is a picture. Also I tested resistance and it works oneway but not the other is that correct? Or am I doing something wrong?
Attachments
IMG_9018.jpg
IMG_9017.jpg

July 11th, 2018, 17:03

@SSStang, are you saying that both diodes test the same way?

Can you give proper resistance readings for the diodes and zero-ohm resistors?

http://www.hddoracle.com/download/file.php?id=5420&mode=view

You can read the instructions in my FAQ:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/TVS_diode_FAQ.html

July 11th, 2018, 22:36

So I guess I was doing something wrong. Read instructions and I get resistance on both diodes.

Not sure where to go from here.

Thanks for the help

July 11th, 2018, 23:59

Power Up In Standby (PUIS)?

July 12th, 2018, 9:31

Just to avoid misunderstandings, can you post the measures you read from both diodes ?

July 12th, 2018, 16:37

fzabkar wrote:Power Up In Standby (PUIS)?

I don't think so, the op says
SSStang wrote:.....and then smelt burnt smell.

you should check again the measurements of the TVS or change pcb + ROM
Post a reply