All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: wrong label or wrong firmware ??
PostPosted: July 15th, 2018, 16:25 

the 2 laptop drives were from a different batch that tne hitachi desktop so I don't think there was any tampering or manipulation of firmware going on.

they were batches of used drives sold for parts etc.

I think this is a case of HDD manufacturers trying to do what the chip manufacturers do.

When AMD released their Athlon and Phenom 3 core CPUs they were actually 4 core chips with 1 core deactivated.
Motherboard manufacturers figured out how to activate the core so they added the feature to the BIOS of the mobo.

Same for these hard drives. Regardless of what the label says the size is (500GB or 1 TB) it has 2 platters. You can write into the firmware to read just 1 platter making it a 500GB drive. If something happens to that hard drive (maybe a power surge of some sort) and the firmware is altered, all of a sudden its reading both platters and you now have a 1TB drive or even a 2TB drive.

Just a theory but it makes sense to me so I'm sticking with it .. LOL

PostPosted: July 15th, 2018, 17:48 

EGPCwAx wrote:
the 2 laptop drives were from a different batch that tne hitachi desktop so I don't think there was any tampering or manipulation of firmware going on.

I think this is a case of HDD manufacturers trying to do what the chip manufacturers do.

When AMD released their Athlon and Phenom 3 core CPUs they were actually 4 core chips with 1 core deactivated.
Motherboard manufacturers figured out how to activate the core so they added the feature to the BIOS of the mobo.

Same for these hard drives. Regardless of what the label says the size is (500GB or 1 TB) it has 2 platters. You can write into the firmware to read just 1 platter making it a 500GB drive. If something happens to that hard drive (maybe a power surge of some sort) and the firmware is altered, all of a sudden its reading both platters and you now have a 1TB drive or even a 2TB drive.

Just a theory but it makes sense to me so I'm sticking with it .. LOL

Wrong theory ....

On factory they produce for example 1 TB drives. 500 GB drives of that same family are for example drives that do have a damaged surface/head and didn't pass the final factory test.

They produce for example a family of drives with 1 platter and 2 heads ... this is just an example. Now that platter have 2 surfaces one for each head. Let's say 500 GB each surface ....

Now they run the factory Self-Scan and the drive doesn't pass it as one of the surfaces have too many defects or the head is not as it should. Instead of discarding the drive the factory procedure does re-use the drive as a 500 GB modle by disabling the faulty surface/head on firmware.

There is no way to re-enable the disabled head without firmware tools and manipulation.

The drive that does have 500 GB wouldn't turn intro a 1 TB just because of electric shock !! lolol

Someone used firmware tools like PC-3000 on those drives and change the capacity.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2018, 18:12 

EGPCwAx wrote:

That is your explanation . They were sold for parts, not as working drives. You can bet that someone had already tried to "fix" them, so that they could sell for more money. As it didn´t work, or is someone didn´t want to try very hard to fix them, they got sold as-is.