All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: unable to execute self-scan on wd7500bpvx-60jc3t0 (zephyr?)
PostPosted: July 16th, 2018, 1:56 

i've got a wd7500bpvx-60jc3t0 that i recovered data from for a friend a couple years ago and held on to afterwards. as a learning experience, and to have a spare drive to use for unimportant things, i was hoping to refurbish it. this drive appears to be one of the newer 'zephyr' series drives, and as such, the 0028 module (containing self-scan script) was wiped at the factory. any attempts to initiate a self-scan terminate within a minute or two due to this.

according to a surface scan using hd tune pro, the drive has a bunch of bad sectors in the beginning of the disk, but is good from there. i was hoping to either rebuild p-list from the result of a self-scan, or "cut" the drive to a smaller capacity, bypassing the problem areas.

so far, i've tried writing a couple modified 0028 modules i found here that supposedly would work on zephyr drives. while they were written successfully, and i can view the new script sequence in WDR, the test still ends after only a couple minutes.

apparently, there are also some modification(s) necessary to the 0002 module to enable self-scan on the zephyr series. i found a before-and-after stock/modded 0002 module for another drive, and checking the differences between the two in hex format, there were a LOT of changes made, i.e. not a transformation i could complete using a hex editor.

my question is: does anyone know which modifications to 0002/0028 are necessary to have a successful self-scan on zephyr drives? i've uploaded the modules i pulled from the drive here: https://app.box.com/v/wd7500bpvx-modules-7z

the only tools i have at my disposal are an old bios-based pc and a couple versions of wdr & trex. i have usb-ttl adapters, jtags, and flash programmers too, but i don't think those would be needed.

by the way, blindly following another post here suggesting to "format with p-list" seemed to wipe the p-list completely :oops: i've tried a normal surface scan in wdr, but TONS of "defects" show up even after raising the bad block timeout threshold. fwiw, they do appear to be in the same region (per the p-list graph) as the original ones. except, there are no entire tracks listed. i believe i should have a backup of the p-list in the .7z of the modules i posted.

thanks for any insight!

Post subject: Re: unable to execute self-scan on wd7500bpvx-60jc3t0 (zephy
PostPosted: July 17th, 2018, 1:57 

thanks Spildit. i actually saw that post describing how to do it all with free tools before creating this post, and, unfortunately, my skills and understanding of the terminology are not at the point where i could reliably follow such a brief guide :(

i was hoping to avoid purchasing any additional software (SeDiv, WDMarvel), considering the drive is worth a lot less than the software would cost.

as far as i know the self-scan scripts i tried were confirmed to be "good" according to those who tried them (they were from other posts here)...possibly they aren't suitable for 2.5" drives, though. or maybe it is in fact something that needs to be changed in 0002, as i'd originally suspected.

anyhow, the modules i pulled from the drive are still available for download from the box.com link in my original post, if someone feels like taking a look.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2018, 8:56 

The correct (full) script here
http://files.hddguru.com/download/Non-P ... N/0028.bin
Utility for working with memory here
https://wdmarvel.com/WDMarv_demo.rar
Utility to fill the corrected modules to disk ... Hmm. Let it be here:
https://yadi.sk/d/79JUlzi63ZGc4j

If the phrase "editing the addresses of regions" causes you some questions ... then this is not your ... try it
https://yadi.sk/i/l465Q-p93ZGdRe

PostPosted: July 17th, 2018, 12:41 

E123 wrote:

Actually the drive is FBLITE, so the proposed script is not correct.
Anyway , the drive would fail SelfScan because it is physically damaged.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2018, 13:49 

Zephyr...FBlite...What he asked, I gave.
Script for FBlite from Spildit's collection here:
https://yadi.sk/d/IN_WAC5J3ZHDeC
I'nt check. Although I also think that this is not going to save him...

PostPosted: July 18th, 2018, 0:20 

i'm not afraid of hex or memory regions or any of that, but what does this mean?

Quote:
Put the disc in the "not full initialized" mode by editing of addresses of regions of service area +1

it's not the "idea" of it it's just it's extremely vague. if you said "open module 0002 and flip the 6th bit of the 4th 32-bit word after the header, network byte order" then i could probably follow that. the instructions posted, not so much.

do you mean to edit the memory in such a way as to cause a runtime fault, leading it to being left in an uninitialized state?

anyhow, if you don't feel like explaining further, that's fine, but i imagine others could be helped if this were discussed at more length.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2018, 1:23 

Regions shift - a well-known reception in the repair of WD. This is the basics. You MUST know this. The idea: to spoil the table for allocating service areas and not to let the disk read the service modules from the surfaces.
Simply put a unit to each SA address and save.

FBlite is much more complicated than the Zephyr.

I'nt hear about the successful selftest on them. Depop is the nightmare.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2018, 3:33 

Spildit wrote:
You need something better to work with modern drives ... WDR will not help you out. At least get WDMarvel or SeDiv ...

And buy at least 10 broken drives for trainning on them....

P.S. SelfTest of FBLITE drive is a mission impossible.... at least for you.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2018, 15:32 

Some fw versions seem to be unable to load selfscan overlays due to memory allocation issues.
pepe