Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

ST31500341AS 7200.11 issues

July 21st, 2018, 23:19

My Seagate 1.5TB 7200.11 died a couple of months ago. It was no longer visible in the BIOS, so I thought it was the BSY error. I could not log into the terminal, so I had the PCB replaced and the BIOS swapped, but still no joy. It is visible in my USB dock as a BAD drive with a partition of 3.5GB after the PCB swap. But I still can't log into the terminal and if I connect it to the Sata bus, the PC will not boot. It also has the click of death when it spins up. I thought it was the heads, but the fact that it hangs the PC makes me think it's not that simple. I swapped the board again with the same model board (no BIOS swap) just to make sure my 'new' PCB was not the issue. It still has the click of death when it powers up. I did not try to access the drive with this board, as the BIOS is not correct.

Any bright ideas? It must be a short to hang the PC and cause terminal issues, but the PCB is 'new'. Would a motor problem cause these issues?

Thanks

Re: ST31500341AS 7200.11 issues

July 25th, 2018, 15:10

This really does need professional recovery, DIY will just make it worse.

Does it stop spinning after the 'click of death' or keep spinning?

July 25th, 2018, 17:25

Nick_CT wrote:This really does need professional recovery, DIY will just make it worse.

Does it stop spinning after the 'click of death' or keep spinning?

Yes it does stop spinning.

Odd that it hangs the PC after the PCB swap, it did not do this when it died. Although some time has passed since I took it out of the PC and did spend a little time in the USB dock.

Any idea why I can't get into the terminal? Although this is kinda moot if the heads are dead. I was going to try a head swap, as I have a few of these I pulled out of my server due to old age. But I think the platters will likely need a transplant, which I would not attempt.

July 26th, 2018, 1:24

Data_Boy wrote:I thought it was the BSY error.

BSY is a STATE
Post a reply