All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HDD slow to read/load, unsure of cause
PostPosted: July 28th, 2018, 4:02 

Good evening to you all. I can provide more information as requested, but this is the short of it.

HDD is a 1GB Seagate Drive, runtime aproximately 1.6 years, out of store age, 3-4 years. Recently, it began loading significantly slower, to the point of taking half an hour to get to desktop. Lacking a major backup, I've been transferring files to a different drive, setting this drive as a secondary drive.

On advice of a friend, I ran the seagate diagnostic usb bootable tool. It took aproximately 20 hours to reach 40% on an extensive scan, at which point I chickened out, wanting to just transfer data over if the drive was potentially due to fail at an unknown point. The scan did say it had found a bad sector.

Using a friend's help, I have booted the drive as the main drive in someone else's tower computer. We found it to be extremely slow to boot there as well, which eliminated the motherboard or other components being the issue.

At no point while transferring data have I found corrupted data. At points I have found inconsistent "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error." errors when transferring data. a few times these have seemingly resolved themselves, and also not.

And the point which I'm most confused by, the drive has, twice now as the secondary drive, seemingly disconnected itself of it's own volition, in each time, after transferring files over. No windows error messages, no "Drive has safely disconnected" messages, it just vanishes from the list of connected drives.

The drive diagnostic finding a bad sector along with the drive being slower, I figured point to the drive's decline into outright failing, but I find myself confused by not finding corrupted data, the inconsistent I/O errors, and the drive seeming to disconnect itself for whatever reason.
Thank you for you time, and any insight into this.

Post subject: Re: HDD slow to read/load, unsure of cause
PostPosted: July 29th, 2018, 5:15 

It is not USB connected. 1.6 in runtime, not out of store age. I've been told that's still young for a drive. I may look into a new drive, but I'm more curious at the moment what would cause the random disconnects, and why the drive is just severely slow as opposed to outright corrupting data. I've copied essentials out of the drive but there's still some stuff I'd like to copy out, game junk and what not.

What would cause it to disconnect seemingly after periods of file transfer? faulty wiring?

(And yes on it being junk... since it waaas kind of an out of store walmart pc. Filthy heathen I am)

Post subject: Re: HDD slow to read/load, unsure of cause
PostPosted: July 29th, 2018, 22:49 

This program?

http://soft-book.net/load/system/test_h ... 71-1-0-122

And yeah it's probably not that expensive but I'm a bit of a cheapskate.