Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

WD5000BMVW-11AMCS0 Data Recovery

August 6th, 2018, 5:06

External HDD: WD5000BMVW-11AMCS0

Problem: HDD Not detected / cannot access data. Looking to recover data, happy to lose the disk in the process.

Symptoms:
[list=]
[*]HDD Lights up when connected. Flashes for a few moments, and then shows a steady light.
[*]Seems to be spinning, as in I can hear a little whiz when I bring it close to ears. No other clicking sounds.
[*]Shows up in Device Manager. Does not show up in Disk Management
[*]Shows up as Drive (H:) on Explorer. But no further info about size and nothing happens when I click on it.
(BTW, it always showed as (H:) on my PC, but as the next sequential drive letter when plugged on other PCs).
[*]Shows up on UCVC. See attached output.
[*]Didn't show up on EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard
[*]Didn't show up on WD Data Lifegaurd Diagnostic
[*]Already tried different PCs, Laptop, USB Ports 2.0, 3.0, different USB connector cables etc... and got the same consistent results.
[/list]

Of the 200 odd GB, i probably just need 5GB of it, maybe even less.

Looking for guidance on what diagnostics can I use/perform to determine chances of data recovery.
Attachments
UCVC Output.txt
(3.38 KiB) Downloaded 599 times

Re: WD5000BMVW-11AMCS0 Data Recovery

August 11th, 2018, 23:17

"Can you show us S.M.A.R.T. attribute screen capture ? Maybe you have pending sectors + re-located sectors ?"

Not sure how can I do that. I tried using the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic and Crystal Disk Info portable tool, but neither of them can see the drive.

One other weird thing I notice is that my internet page stops working/refreshing when I connect the drive to USB, and starts working as soon as I release it.

August 12th, 2018, 2:12

It has hardware problem. Nothing can be done at home facilities. And, most probably, donor disk should be used as spare parts in order to recover data.

August 12th, 2018, 14:20

The fewer times you connect it the better.
You may have a problem that may be getting worse.
Greetings.

August 13th, 2018, 9:51

There's probably not a lot you can do yourself. The drive at the very least will have a firmware malfunction triggered by too many bad sectors. In which case, it'll need the firmware patched and data imaged/cloned (preferably using a hardware imaging tool good at handling bad sectors).

It's also possible that it's got one or more failed read/write heads which is an even more complex issue.

Professional recover is the best route if the data is worth more than a few hundred dollars to you.
Post a reply