All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recover HDD from HP Simplesave 1tb, but without chip
PostPosted: September 11th, 2018, 8:49 

Hi HDDGuru.

About few years ago my external hard drive "HP Simplesave" fell from my desk and the USB port detached from motherboard which was inside. Hard drive was still working. So I found somebody who attached USB port to the motherboard again, because it was encrypted by Initio INIC-1607 chip, so simple SATA connector didn't work for me. After fixing small motherboard it worked only, let's say, for one day. I don't remember what went next, I was 15 years old, I ran R-Studio and copied what was important, but after months I realised that I forget to copy my photos of my old school, of my first dog because I was in "panic mode", and I didnt had other external drive. It was 1TB, I copied only 100GB of very-important things.

I wrote an email to company who recovers data and they wrote back to me that they can recover data without chip, because the key is on the drive. But 1000$, and I just want few photos... nope.

But this email still sits in my head that the key is on this disc and I am able to recover something from it. Its "WD Caviar Green" (WD10EADS) but as I said it was connected through the chip which was from HP Simplesave 1TB. So data on it is encrypted. I am fighting with this disc for almost 4 years, of course not everyday but let's say once a month, but I still didn't figured it out, but I still believe some day I will be able to read some data from it and maybe even my first dog photos because no backup..

I scanned whole drive with R-Studio, it was a nightmare, it took 2 weeks, but nothing found. I found that there was a Initio INIC-1607 chip. The S.M.A.R.T of this drive looks like disaster, but it still works. Windows goes crazy with it, but Linux is fine with it, it can do DD, it can read data from it.

How I can look for encryption key on it? Is there any software that would do it for me, or any software which would help me? Or any other ideas what can I try to do? Except saving money and sending it to that company I mentioned.

Post subject: Re: Recover HDD from HP Simplesave 1tb, but without chip
PostPosted: September 11th, 2018, 15:35 

reallymine: WD MyBook/MyPassport decryption :
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1488