All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seagate 1TB HDD slow read speeds with activity spikes
PostPosted: September 12th, 2018, 3:07 

Hello HDDGuru!

I have an old Seagate 1 TB HDD, model and part number ST1000DM003-1CH162 with firmware version CC47. Here's a picture of the disk's label for more info. A few days ago the drive seemed to be working fine as usual but out of nowhere the drive started showing extremely slow read speeds. Trying to watch a video stored on the disk would cause VLC to "buffer" for example. Copying anything off of the disk is extremely slow as most of the time the drive wouldn't be reading at all.

While the data on the drive isn't that critical, it would still be nice to save what I can before discarding the drive.

Here's what I know:

• DOM is April 2014 so warranty is out of the question.
  • The drive shows absolutely no physical issues. When I feel it while it's connected I can tell its spinning normally inside. It doesn't emit any weird noises or abnormal sounds.
  • Windows can detect the drive and access its contents. However, loading the contents of folders can take a few seconds and Windows Explorer becomes unresponsive often.
  • Windows takes a bit longer than usual to load while booting up with the drive connected.
  • The drive takes a minute or two to be detected by Windows if I connect it to a SATA hotplug.

Here are some screenshots of performance monitor while I'm copying about 52mb worth of documents off of the affected drive:

As you can see, at the beginning of the copy it reads at about 20mb/s for 2 seconds then it devolves into less than 500kb/s with some sputters of about 2mb/s throughout the copying process.

Copying the same files TO the affected drive is even stranger. The copy was stuck for a few seconds then it jumped from 0% to 100% in an instant. Here's a screenshot of performance monitor: https://i.imgur.com/KcVKYge.png

Things I've tried so far to no avail:

• Switched the SATA cable and motherboard port. No difference.
  • Connected another working drive to my PC using the same SATA and power plug. The other drive worked perfectly normally.
  • Attempted a SMART test on the drive. HDTune and HDScan both freeze indefinitely while doing the test. CrystalDiskInfo takes forever to start up and then it shows the result for SMART as "unknown". Seatools for Windows sometimes won't even detect the hard disk (even though Windows detects and reads it just fine). When it is detected, it fails SMART but passes all other tests. However, a few minutes ago I ran another SMART test and it passed so who knows? The "Fix All" option finishes in seconds whether it's the fast or long setting.
  • Tried clicking properties in Windows then "Check". After some time it reported no errors.
  • Windows reports 0% fragmentation. Ran a defragment anyways. No resulting difference.
  • Ran chkdsk /F in the command line. chkdsk took some time then finished, reporting no bad sectors and no errors.
  • Disassembled the chip on the hard disk to check for burn marks or any obvious issues. Other than some accumulated dust, everything seemed fine. Here's a picture of the chip: https://i.imgur.com/g5VPRSI.jpg
  • Tried looking for a firmware update. Seagate offers no firmware updates for this particular drive model and part number.

I looked all over the internet for anyone having similar issues but it seemed like I'm alone on this one. Is there anything I can do to at least copy the contents of the drive before the heat death of the universe? Any help would be appreciated. I can provide any other information if needed.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Post subject: Re: Seagate 1TB HDD slow read speeds with activity spikes
PostPosted: September 12th, 2018, 16:17 

MMAesawy wrote:
Is there anything I can do to at least copy the contents of the drive before the heat death of the universe?

See http://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?t=37294

Post subject: Re: Seagate 1TB HDD slow read speeds with activity spikes
PostPosted: October 14th, 2018, 14:05 

Banned User

thanks for posting that