Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Help with 2TB Seagate Barracuda not detected but still spins

September 23rd, 2018, 9:02

Hi,

I need help resurrecting my drive that all of a sudden stopped working but is receiving power and still spinning. I would love to see what I can do as I have some of it backed up, but not all.

Here are the details:
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200.14 (.14 from the forums I've read)
Model: ST2000DM001
FW: CC43
Board: 100687658 REV B
Date: 13116 but below says DOM: 09/2012

Here's the troubleshooting I've done:
I've tried different PCs, external drive enclosures, SATA cables, Seagate Diagnostic Boot Tool and none have worked and the drive remains undetected. When I tried the Seagate Diagnostic Boot tool in another computer and I received the message that the drive is failing and showed up but failed 2 tests but passed 1 (don't recall the names of the tests though).

I read I can try a serial TTL adapter and recover data but is that a long shot?

If sending it to a pro, any idea what the cost might be and how to find the best one in my area?

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Re: Help with 2TB Seagate Barracuda not detected but still s

September 23rd, 2018, 9:58

If you want a good trustworthy pro in Canada then you should look up Luke from Recovery Force.

He’s on this forum as lcoughey

September 23rd, 2018, 11:10

pcimage wrote:If you want a good trustworthy pro in Canada then you should look up Luke from Recovery Force.

He’s on this forum as lcoughey

+1
highly recommended.

September 23rd, 2018, 17:33

PM sent

September 26th, 2018, 9:26

Thanks everyone and thanks Luke. I was hoping I would receive a little more DIY type info. I am comfortable working with cables, boards, electronics, etc but also know that some things are just left to the pros with the specialized equipment and expertise.

I assumed (right or wrong) that if what is still spinning and power is getting to it there was a method of diagnosing why its not being recognized. Is that easier said than done>
Post a reply