Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Shrek_LT

September 26th, 2018, 8:25

Hello,
A customer give me that drive today.
The top side has a scratches (rings).
The question is: is it worth a try or it would be unrecoverable?
Attachments
IMG-20180926-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20180926-WA0005.jpg

Re: Shrek_LT

September 26th, 2018, 11:08

I personally, I would try. I think the possibilities are low.
If the client is worth part of the data, if they are photos for example or many documents, it is always worth trying.

It will always be of experience.

Greetings.

September 26th, 2018, 13:21

That HDD has been around the block :)
Ontrack and DriveSavers.

September 26th, 2018, 14:06

It depends on the state of the other surfaces, we have made many reasonable recoveries from drives with ruined top surface.

September 26th, 2018, 14:08

Blizzard wrote:That HDD has been around the block :)
Ontrack and DriveSavers.

One of two scenarios for this..

1. Neither company could recover it.
2. Client didn’t like the prices he was given, which are likely to be pretty high.

September 26th, 2018, 14:13

2. Client didn’t like the prices he was given, which are likely to be pretty high.

The customer said that he accepted the price.
But they told him that it's unrecoverable.

October 15th, 2018, 8:52

Fortunately, I could recover 57GB (working pics) out of 72GB (total folder space) with head 7 physically isolated.

I am very lucky that was the only folder the customer was needed and the rest was movies and programs :lol: :lol: :lol:

October 15th, 2018, 16:20

Lucky indeed, but still remarkable after two “big” companies declared it a lost cause... It goes to show that the “little” ones are sometimes better performers !
So in a case like this nothing at all could be recovered from the damaged platter ? Was it scratched all over or just in one spot ?

October 15th, 2018, 16:23

Congratulations.
Anyway, even if you could not get it back, you've probably learned a lot of new things.

October 15th, 2018, 16:29

Well done!

October 15th, 2018, 17:28

abolibibelot wrote:Lucky indeed, but still remarkable after two “big” companies declared it a lost cause... It goes to show that the “little” ones are sometimes better performers !
So in a case like this nothing at all could be recovered from the damaged platter ? Was it scratched all over or just in one spot ?

When I get to the office tomorrow I will post a picture of the (ring Scratches).

mhp666 wrote:Congratulations.
Anyway, even if you could not get it back, you've probably learned a lot of new things.

Thanks!

pcimage wrote:Well done!

Thank you Mr. Sean.

October 15th, 2018, 17:35

unknown wrote:Fortunately, I could recover 57GB (working pics) out of 72GB (total folder space) with head 7 physically isolated.

I am very lucky that was the only folder the customer was needed and the rest was movies and programs :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats for this case!

....but i have a question.
How did you phisically isolated head 7 ? What was your trick? Please share us!

October 16th, 2018, 6:50

Here's the picture:
Attachments
IMG_20181016_124449.jpg

October 16th, 2018, 7:44

good job, keep it up Akhi.
Post a reply