All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seagate ST1000LM035 winbond chip corrupted
PostPosted: October 4th, 2018, 3:01 

Hi guys, I received this hard drive from a customer who had taken him to a computer store to recover data. the disk seems ok from the heads and plates but by connecting on mrt there is no firmware information. I later discovered that the BIOS winbond chip is damaged now I would like to try with virtual start but I do not have the original firmware, does anyone have a disk with the following data from which to extract the firmware? thank you all

ST1000LM035
Part number 1rk172-568
Serial wde3dgab
Wwwn:5000c500a8239d4c
Firmware sbm3
Site: wu
Dom : 11 Dec 2016

Post subject: Re: Seagate ST1000LM035 winbond chip corrupted
PostPosted: October 4th, 2018, 7:09 

In the case of the seagate if you have damaged the BIOS I think you will not be able to make a virtual boot.
I get the firmware from this page http://firmware.hddsurgery.com/login.php, they are worth € 1.
This afternoon I will make tests breaking a BIOS of a disk and I will prove the problem that you have.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2018, 9:45 

thankyou bro.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2018, 10:15 

What is your goal, data recovery?

PostPosted: October 4th, 2018, 12:02 

Have you tried to identify the HDD in bootcode mode?

PostPosted: October 4th, 2018, 13:23 

yes i need data recovery

PostPosted: October 4th, 2018, 14:04 

mhp666 wrote:
Have you tried to identify the HDD in bootcode mode?

the windbond flash it's dead :-(

PostPosted: October 4th, 2018, 15:59 

Does it show signs of damage ? There are ways to make the Rom talk. An hd clear photo of the component side of pc would not go amiss.

https://www.mjm.co.uk/

PostPosted: October 4th, 2018, 17:01 

The virtual boot that you intend I think it will not do you any good.
Working with a ST1000DM003-1ER162 HDD, you can use the Donor's ROM to reconstruct the patient's ROM, but I had to use the patient's SAP, which in your case is not possible.
If doing a virtual boot with a patient's ROM will give you a servo error.
With the reconstructed ROM I can read the SA and a very very small part of user data

It's what I've been able to see, but it's useless for your problem.
Had your disk signs of manipulation in the ROM ?, Have you tried to read it with an external reader?

PostPosted: October 4th, 2018, 20:28 

Puoi postare una foto della rom?
In passato mi è capitato di ricevere hdd da clienti che si erano rivolti a centri di assistenza pc prima di portarli a me, che avevano la rom saldata male.
Mi è capitato anche di ricevere hdd provenienti da ditte di recupero dati che disonestamente avevano sostituito il chip della rom con uno di tipo diverso che non poteva essere riconosciuto dalla mcu (avevano però scritto su tale chip il codice rom originale), tutto questo solo perchè il cliente aveva rifiutato il loro assurdo preventivo.

Ero riuscito a recuperare i dati saldando il tipo di chip corretto sulla pcb e scrivendoci sopra il codice rom orginale che avevo estratto con il programmatore eprom dal chip non originale.
Questa è la discussione in cui ne avevo discusso:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29113

Can you post a photo of the rom?
In the past I have received HDDs from customers who had turned to pc service centers before taking them to me, who had not properly soldered the rom chip.
In the past i also received hdd from data recovery companies that dishonestly had replaced rom chip with a different type that could not be recognized by the MCU (however they had written on the chip the original ROM code), all this just because customer had refused their quote.

I was able to recover data by welding the correct type of chip on the pcb and writing on it the original rom code that i had extracted with the eprom programmer from the non-original chip.
This is the discussion in which I discussed it:

PostPosted: October 5th, 2018, 3:52 

Ciao, purtroppo non è un chip saldato male anche perché l'ho inserito nel programmatore esterno di mrt ma senza successo :-( volevo tentare di recuperare i dati ma so che è arduo senza il firmware originale. Ho preso anche un prodotto identico ma con una produzione più recente per tentare un boot virtuale ma non ha dato esito positivo. E' il primo caso che mi capita con rom guasta, davvero non so cosa fare. Grazie a tutti per i vostri suggerimenti.

Hello, unfortunately it is not a bad welded also because I inserted it into the external programmer of mrt without success :-( I wanted to try to recover the data but so that it is difficult without the original firmware It is the first case with ROM dead for me, I really do not know what to do, thank you all for your suggestions.

michael chiklis wrote:
Puoi postare una foto della rom?
In passato mi è capitato di ricevere hdd da clienti che si erano rivolti a centri di assistenza pc prima di portarli a me, che avevano la rom saldata male.
Mi è capitato anche di ricevere hdd provenienti da ditte di recupero dati che disonestamente avevano sostituito il chip della rom con uno di tipo diverso che non poteva essere riconosciuto dalla mcu (avevano però scritto su tale chip il codice rom originale), tutto questo solo perchè il cliente aveva rifiutato il loro assurdo preventivo.

Ero riuscito a recuperare i dati saldando il tipo di chip corretto sulla pcb e scrivendoci sopra il codice rom orginale che avevo estratto con il programmatore eprom dal chip non originale.
Questa è la discussione in cui ne avevo discusso:

Can you post a photo of the rom?
In the past I have received HDDs from customers who had turned to pc service centers before taking them to me, who had not properly soldered the rom chip.
In the past i also received hdd from data recovery companies that dishonestly had replaced rom chip with a different type that could not be recognized by the MCU (however they had written on the chip the original ROM code), all this just because customer had refused their quote.

I was able to recover data by welding the correct type of chip on the pcb and writing on it the original rom code that i had extracted with the eprom programmer from the non-original chip.
This is the discussion in which I discussed it:

PostPosted: October 5th, 2018, 16:23 

Sicuramente la rom di questo hdd è di quelle a basso voltaggio, io non uso il programmatore esterno di mrt quindi non so a quale voltaggio abbia alimentato la rom. E' possibile quindi che il programmatore di mrt abbia alimentato la rom a 3,6V anzichè a 1,8V, se è così allora si è bruciata.

The rom of this hdd works a very low voltage, i do not use mrt external programmer so i don't know at what voltage the rom was powered. It is therefore possible that the mrt programmer has powered the ROM at 3.6V instead of at 1.8V, this very likely killed the chip.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2018, 6:17 

:? in effetti alimenta la rom a 3.3 V

Yes the mrt programmer use 3.3 V

PostPosted: October 6th, 2018, 19:59 

Ecco ora che lo sai, non dovresti più commettere questo errore e avrai anche capito che MRT è pieno di bug che possono danneggiare gli hdd in modo definitivo.
Bisogna solo imparare a conviverci, consiglio di fare delle prove su degli hdd sacrificabili prima di usare qualunque delle sue funzionalità per la prima volta su un hdd di cui si necessita recuperare i dati. Una volta che sai quali sono i bug, saprai cosa puoi fare e non fare con MRT e comincerai ad acquistare altri tools per compensare le sue mancanze.

Now that you know, you should not make this mistake anymore and you will have also understood that MRT is full of bugs that can permanently damage HDDs.
We just have to learn to live with it, i recommend testing on sacrificabile hdd before using any of its features for the first time on a hdd that needs to be recovered. Once you know what the bugs are, you'll know what you can do and not do with MRT and you'll begin to buy other tools to compensate for its shortcomings.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2018, 1:11 

Isn't the winbond the ram in this board. Post the picture in good resolution for the chip and the electronic board

PostPosted: October 7th, 2018, 4:33 

Rarely have I seen a physically broken rom.
Nor do I think that by subjecting a rom of 1.8 volts to 3.3 volts has been damaged.
There is a very economical EZP2013 programmer that you can use with a 1.8 volt adapter and the corresponding adapter for sop8 (there are several types). There are less economic options that will include adapters. I'm telling you that in my case I'm very afraid to make a connection fault to the MRTLAB programmer and then if the card is broken for any reason it's annoying.

What is very typical is a corruption of the ROM, but in this case there could be possibilities to rebuild the ROM (the biggest problem is with the SAP).

In some models there is a copy of the SAP in the Firmware of the HD.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2018, 3:13 

well now that the break of the bios chip is confirmed, do you have any suggestions to solve this problem? thank you

PostPosted: October 10th, 2018, 11:29 

Spildit wrote:
magnetepazzo wrote:
well now that the break of the bios chip is confirmed, do you have any suggestions to solve this problem? thank you

Yes. Try to contact forum member Pepe and prepare to pay ....

Can Pepe fix bad or corrupted roms?

PostPosted: October 10th, 2018, 14:49 

LoboX wrote:
Spildit wrote:
magnetepazzo wrote:

Yes. Try to contact forum member Pepe and prepare to pay ....

Can Pepe fix bad or corrupted roms?

Yes :D

PostPosted: October 10th, 2018, 16:37 

Very interesting.