All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Reduce HDD capacity
PostPosted: October 5th, 2018, 20:01 
Offline

Joined: October 5th, 2018, 19:54
Posts: 3
Location: Brasil
I´m new in this HDD recorevy, and i´ve learned that I can "cut" the HDD capacity increasing the HBA, and i´ve used too reuse and recycle
old HDD, couse some off the have those bad blocks in the last LBA sectors. What i want to know is if there´s an way to do that cuting the beggining of the HDD to, or even better , if I could "cut" the disk in other places like in the middle and still use a single partition.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reduce HDD capacity
PostPosted: October 5th, 2018, 20:43 
Offline

Joined: December 5th, 2011, 5:38
Posts: 1173
Location: Italy
If you have firmware tools then you can cut any zone on surface.
Without fw tools you'll only able to hide end part of surface by using ata commands (example like it does MHDD or HDAT2 by inserting HPA or DCO).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reduce HDD capacity
PostPosted: October 6th, 2018, 15:47 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:49
Posts: 9981
Location: Portugal
Agree ! And even if you have (expensive) firmware tools you are limited to some brands/models as others will not allow to "cut" zones. Also it will depend of the defects that the drive already have on P-List, etc ...

_________________
1Q9xrDTzTddUXeJAFRn37aqh1Yr6buDCdw - (Bitcoin Donations)
paypal.me/Spildit - (PayPal Donations)
The HDD Oracle - Platform for OPEN research on Data Recovery.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reduce HDD capacity
PostPosted: October 26th, 2018, 20:13 
Offline

Joined: October 5th, 2018, 19:54
Posts: 3
Location: Brasil
michael chiklis wrote:
If you have firmware tools then you can cut any zone on surface.
Without fw tools you'll only able to hide end part of surface by using ata commands (example like it does MHDD or HDAT2 by inserting HPA or DCO).



I have access to a PC3000, but i'm dont realy know anything about how to use it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reduce HDD capacity
PostPosted: October 27th, 2018, 15:38 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:49
Posts: 9981
Location: Portugal
madeinpavao wrote:
michael chiklis wrote:
If you have firmware tools then you can cut any zone on surface.
Without fw tools you'll only able to hide end part of surface by using ata commands (example like it does MHDD or HDAT2 by inserting HPA or DCO).



I have access to a PC3000, but i'm dont realy know anything about how to use it.


Maybe you should start by reading the manuals ?

Do you have a legal version or a very old PCI chinese card ?

If you have a legal updated version it should be easy to learn by reading the manuals and experimenting with drives that you don't care about.

Examples :

Testing hard disks with some confidence :

Executing a "Cosmetic Fix" on drives with Bad Sectors :

Assigning slow sectors to the P-List :

_________________
1Q9xrDTzTddUXeJAFRn37aqh1Yr6buDCdw - (Bitcoin Donations)
paypal.me/Spildit - (PayPal Donations)
The HDD Oracle - Platform for OPEN research on Data Recovery.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reduce HDD capacity
PostPosted: October 29th, 2018, 18:29 
Offline

Joined: October 5th, 2018, 19:54
Posts: 3
Location: Brasil
Spildit wrote:
madeinpavao wrote:
michael chiklis wrote:
If you have firmware tools then you can cut any zone on surface.
Without fw tools you'll only able to hide end part of surface by using ata commands (example like it does MHDD or HDAT2 by inserting HPA or DCO).



I have access to a PC3000, but i'm dont realy know anything about how to use it.


Maybe you should start by reading the manuals ?

Do you have a legal version or a very old PCI chinese card ?

If you have a legal updated version it should be easy to learn by reading the manuals and experimenting with drives that you don't care about.

Examples :

Testing hard disks with some confidence :

Executing a "Cosmetic Fix" on drives with Bad Sectors :

Assigning slow sectors to the P-List :



unfortunately i have access to an old PCI chinese version of the PC3000.
For that i don´t realy have access to the manual. But i will read those post you sent me. Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reduce HDD capacity
PostPosted: October 30th, 2018, 15:32 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:49
Posts: 9981
Location: Portugal
madeinpavao wrote:
unfortunately i have access to an old PCI chinese version of the PC3000.
For that i don´t realy have access to the manual. But i will read those post you sent me. Thanks!


You can't do much with that piece of crap ....

Advice : - Move that PCI card to a computer that is not a pirated clone system for the PC-3000 software to work. Just move and re-use teh card itself.

Install the driver and make sure that your system do detect the pirated card.

Now just buy stuff like SeDiv, WDMarvel, etc and they will detect the card itself and you can use that software instead of the pirated PC-3000 software ...

Not that it will be a good thing to do (use pirated cards) but the hardware card itself can be of use even with modern tools ...

_________________
1Q9xrDTzTddUXeJAFRn37aqh1Yr6buDCdw - (Bitcoin Donations)
paypal.me/Spildit - (PayPal Donations)
The HDD Oracle - Platform for OPEN research on Data Recovery.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reduce HDD capacity
PostPosted: October 31st, 2018, 5:17 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2014, 4:41
Posts: 58
Location: China
Here are some precise solutions of reducing capacity or head cut for HDD refurbishment

http://us.mrtlab.com/tech/seagate/197.html
http://us.mrtlab.com/tech/seagate/175.html
http://us.mrtlab.com/tech/seagate/234.html
http://us.mrtlab.com/tech/seagate/226.html
http://us.mrtlab.com/tech/wdc/118.html

_________________
MRT Lab - Your data recovery, our committed solution.
http://en.mrtlab.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reduce HDD capacity
PostPosted: November 1st, 2018, 10:23 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:49
Posts: 9981
Location: Portugal
Not going to work if all that the OP have is an "old" PCI Chinese PC3K ...

_________________
1Q9xrDTzTddUXeJAFRn37aqh1Yr6buDCdw - (Bitcoin Donations)
paypal.me/Spildit - (PayPal Donations)
The HDD Oracle - Platform for OPEN research on Data Recovery.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 44 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group