All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ddrescue failed??!!
PostPosted: October 7th, 2018, 4:00 

story: the Toshiba 1TB from HP Pavilion laptop. it started giving warning error that the drive is failing, it was still able to boot up into windows 10 though.
so i took it away and tried doing data recovery. i was trying to ddrescue, in a way cloning the old hdd to a brand new 1TB WD HDD. in my usb linux doing the ddrescue, the messages as below;

errsize 999gb
errors 2
current rate 0

why is it running like this for hours? this is the first time i encounter something like this. in the past, there is no such fault.

please advise ladies and gentlemen. thanks.

rgds.

Post subject: Re: ddrescue failed??!!
PostPosted: October 7th, 2018, 5:59 

hi, splidit,

hddsuperclone is it better than ddrescue in what way? i don't mind spending more time on recovery process as i read superclone saves more time than ddrescue. otherwise i am not convinced if i should go for the pro licence. does the hddsuperclones use a different algorithm to recover data compare to ddrescue? thxs for advice .

PostPosted: October 8th, 2018, 8:28 

berifarni wrote:

why is it running like this for hours?

rgds.

Try ddrescue with -R -A options

PostPosted: October 8th, 2018, 19:17 

Disclaimer: If the data is important enough to pay for, seek professional data recovery now. Continuing to mess with the drive yourself can decrease the chance of recovery and increase the price. With the disclaimer out of the way…

As the author of HDDSuperClone, I will tell you not to buy the PRO version unless you have a good idea that it will help. And from the information provided so far, there is no indication that it will help. Stick with the free version for now.

It sounds like you are connecting the drive with a USB adapter. If you want the best results, the drive needs to be connected directly to the computer.

The reported result of 999GB error size indicates very little has been read, and that there could be a major issue. I would suggest trying the free version of HDDSuperClone. As stated you should connect the drive directly to the computer if possible, but if all you can manage is USB then you can try that. But don’t run the drive for hours without any progress, that is just thrashing on the drive and potentially killing it. Run it for a short time (no more than an hour) and see what it does. Then post the log file and I can help with possible diagnosis.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2018, 0:53 

laptokowiec wrote:
berifarni wrote:

why is it running like this for hours?

rgds.

Try ddrescue with -R -A options

haven;t tried reading from back to front, will give it a shot. thxs...

PostPosted: October 9th, 2018, 0:55 

thxs very much. useful info. on not running for more than few hours. will post update......

maximus wrote:
Disclaimer: If the data is important enough to pay for, seek professional data recovery now. Continuing to mess with the drive yourself can decrease the chance of recovery and increase the price. With the disclaimer out of the way…

As the author of HDDSuperClone, I will tell you not to buy the PRO version unless you have a good idea that it will help. And from the information provided so far, there is no indication that it will help. Stick with the free version for now.

It sounds like you are connecting the drive with a USB adapter. If you want the best results, the drive needs to be connected directly to the computer.

The reported result of 999GB error size indicates very little has been read, and that there could be a major issue. I would suggest trying the free version of HDDSuperClone. As stated you should connect the drive directly to the computer if possible, but if all you can manage is USB then you can try that. But don’t run the drive for hours without any progress, that is just thrashing on the drive and potentially killing it. Run it for a short time (no more than an hour) and see what it does. Then post the log file and I can help with possible diagnosis.