Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Toshiba MQ01ABD100 has scratch

October 9th, 2018, 6:34

Hello,,,

Is There any chance to recover partial data from Toshiba MQ01ABD100 hard drive has scratch on surface 0?
Is there any way to disable head 0 and clone rest data?

Best Regards

Re: Toshiba MQ01ABD100 has scratch

October 12th, 2018, 16:46

Disclaimer : I'm not a data recovery professional ; but since noone has replied yet, my possibly misinformed comment might elicit answers from a bona fide pro who's going to be eager to correct it, or at least provide you with some keywords to do some more research on your own in the depths of the World Wide Web...

So : isn't this the kind of situation where a "live PCB swap" can do the trick ? From what I understand of that procedure, the idea is precisely that : attach the PCB (circuit board) from the defective HDD to another (healthy) drive of the same model, power it up, at which point it performs self-test procedures and whatnot, relying on data from the system area or “track 0”, then put the system to sleep, then, while still plugged, unscrew the PCB and screw it to the defective drive, then wake up the computer : theoretically, since the drive appears to be the same, and its system area has already been checked, from the system's standpoint it's no longer required to read it, and it may be possible to image the rest... unless there are other defects...

Question : how do you know that “surface 0” has a scratch ?

Re: Toshiba MQ01ABD100 has scratch

October 16th, 2018, 15:10

abolibibelot wrote:Disclaimer : I'm not a data recovery professional ; but since noone has replied yet, my possibly misinformed comment might elicit answers from a bona fide pro who's going to be eager to correct it, or at least provide you with some keywords to do some more research on your own in the depths of the World Wide Web...

So : isn't this the kind of situation where a "live PCB swap" can do the trick ? From what I understand of that procedure, the idea is precisely that : attach the PCB (circuit board) from the defective HDD to another (healthy) drive of the same model, power it up, at which point it performs self-test procedures and whatnot, relying on data from the system area or “track 0”, then put the system to sleep, then, while still plugged, unscrew the PCB and screw it to the defective drive, then wake up the computer : theoretically, since the drive appears to be the same, and its system area has already been checked, from the system's standpoint it's no longer required to read it, and it may be possible to image the rest... unless there are other defects...

Question : how do you know that “surface 0” has a scratch ?

Surface under h0 is clearly seen , by that reason that it is very top surface
Post a reply