All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hitachi HDT721010 clicking after spinning
PostPosted: October 15th, 2018, 8:50 

Greetings! I am having a blast reading the threads, but for the first time I'll stop lurking and get myself into the fray.

A long time friend of mine gave me an Hitachi HDT721010 drive: filled with personal family and of course without a backup :( .
The drive is not recognized in Windows or Linux, and repeated clicking is audible. It from a Lacie USB enclosure.

Bear in mind that i don't know the previous history of this drive: maybe it fell, maybe it was attached to a wrong adapter or experienced overvoltage from an adapter. It is possible my friend asked somebody else, who already tried some standard procedure (maybe imaging through a Linux distribution instead of Windows, and so on).

Thanks to some mycology forums, I managed to open it in a (for a DIY approach, at least) suitable environment:

[*]no apparent marks on visible platter
[*]filter is clean
[*]drive spins up
[*]after spinning up, the head moves toward the center, then comes back toward the resting position, then the drive beeps one time; afterwards the cycle repeats

Reading The thread "testing drives with some confidence", I was thinking about testin the PCB while separated from the drive, maybe the TVS diodes.
While doing that, I manage to procure another PCB of the same drive, manufactured roughly in the same period and with similar ICs onboard (first two lines on the pcb sticker match).

Is it reasonable to think that the issue might be in the PCB? Maybe in finding the Service Area track?
If so, would it be reasonable to swap the PCB and solder on the new PCB the two EEPROMs (U5 and U7 in the pic)form the damaged drive?

A photo of the PCB and a vid of the... well, beeping is availble here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fkn1yz0d07yy1t0/AADPJJ9n6CEq7cElCwllFAvAa?dl=0

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also in the form of useful threads, obviously.

I may consider buying some software, but since I'm doing this pro bono and for personal research, expensive professional tools (PC3000) are out of the question. Instead, sodlering, reading and writing EEPROMs are not an issue.

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Hitachi HDT721010 clicking after spinning
PostPosted: October 15th, 2018, 16:32 

Do not turn on the HDD without the lid, it's not good.

If you have a compressed air spray, get an air flow at a distance and in a place where there is not much dust and close the HDD for now.

Greetings.

Post subject: Re: Hitachi HDT721010 clicking after spinning
PostPosted: October 16th, 2018, 6:09 

Thank you all for the kind answers:

Spildit, thanks for the clarification: I figured that a TVS issue would have cutoff power form the entire drive (motor included) but the message was unclear on my part.

mhp666: while I understand the risks of opening the drive, I believe it was the only way to understand the issue without advanced software at the time: I hope in the future to find some tool (maybe used) to have some more fun. I have no doubt a professional, experienced worker would have opted differently, but I'll try to get the most of what I have available. :wink:

To clarify, the drive has been opened in a camera equipped with an HEPA H15 filter and blower pre-filter, with sealed gaskets and minimal contact with external dust and by using ESD protection and non-conductive gloves; drive was closed after inspection. The surfaces were reasonably clean, so the damage was hopefully minimal. If I do say so myself, quite a sturdy little flowhood with a good laminar flow: not in the realm of a professional one, but not shoddy either! :D

I'll try to find some threads on the preamp and the head assembly: managed to see some S. Moulton vids and read a bit of "Hard Drive mechatronics" thanks to the nearest library.

The world of software and hardware hidden in the drive (something I previously gave for granted) is... Fascinating, to say the least.

Hope to find some spare head assembly from a donor, this model is quite old (2007/2008): any tip on donor match will be appreciated. I'll look in other threads, perhaps it has already been discussed.

Thanks again!