All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HITACHI HDD logic board shorted
PostPosted: October 17th, 2018, 4:29 

Hello, I'm new here. I accidentally shorted my PC HARD DISK. It accidentally touched a metal surface and burned a capacitor on the logic board.
It is no more detecting and also not spinning.

IMAGE1
IMAGE2
IMAGE3

I checked the board for any short circuit near the OA56511 IC ( may be a voltage regulator) and the only thing shorted is that the burned capacitor. I think there may be two possible damages either the IC OA56511 itself or both the IC & CAP, I may be wrong on this(I am not a computer professional). Also, I checked the 12v and the 5v supply and they are not shorted.

It will be very helpful if someone can provide any information and guidance on troubleshooting and fixing the logic board.

Post subject: Re: HITACHI HDD logic board shorted
PostPosted: October 18th, 2018, 8:35 

very likely that capacitor is shorted due to damaged VCM (IC OA56511).
I would change the pcb, because everytime i see shorts components near VCM i was never able to fix just by replacing those components, the reason was always due to faulty VCM.
You might try to pull off the capacitor, if you still see short on its pads then you know that vcm is shorted, if you don't see short once you remove the capacitor then you could solder new capacitor (but in my opinion it will notwork).

PostPosted: October 20th, 2018, 17:14 

Spildit wrote:
I was NEVER able to "fix" Hitachi/HGST PCBs ... Once they are shorted even if some fuse does blow and you bridge it the PCB will burn on another place ...

In this particular case Hitachi uses the same stupid design philosophy as WD, ie the zero-ohm resistors are in the wrong place.

Catastrophic failures in Western Digital PCBs:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1119

Attachments:
TVS.gif
TVS.gif [ 165 KiB | Viewed 9958 times ]

PostPosted: October 28th, 2018, 19:11 

@fzabkar :
Could you please help me identify the components on my unresponsive HGST HDD's PCB ? I've had some hints regarding software checks (from “Spildit”), which so far were inconclusive, and one member suggested a list of hardware checks but it was rather sketchy so I'm not sure exactly how to proceed, and what to do next...

PostPosted: November 5th, 2018, 19:38 

Quote:
What i was saying was if you use some tool that can show the register status of the drive like MHDD, Victoria, etc or if you have any comercial firmware tool like PC-3000, MRT, HRT, etc and if you plug PCB only on ANY IBM BASED drive (arch M24, ARM based, etc) you should see this IF THE PCB IS STILL WORKING :

Saw these new replies only today... Don't want to “hijack” this thread in case the OP comes back, so I'll reply on the relevant one.