Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

can't format seagate hdd

October 17th, 2018, 12:43

hey guys, i'm new here and i'm not an expert talking about hdds. so I've got this 500 gb hdd, Seagate st3500820AS, and when I try to format it I get the "windows was unable to complete the format" error. now I don't really know if I actually have to format it, since I can put things on it. my only fear is that one sector of the hdd could be damaged (I don't really know) and I don't want to put any data in it knowing that I might eventually lose it. what do you think should I do?

Re: can't format seagate hdd

October 17th, 2018, 12:49

most likely drive is not usable anymore, better to dispose it and buy a new one.
Can you get the s.m.a.r.t status of drive by using some thing like hard disk sentinel and post here to be sure that drive is not usable anymore.

October 21st, 2018, 12:30

MindMergepk wrote:most likely drive is not usable anymore, better to dispose it and buy a new one.
Can you get the s.m.a.r.t status of drive by using some thing like hard disk sentinel and post here to be sure that drive is not usable anymore.

ok I don't think I can use it. it says there are 2047 bad sectors; is there a way to use the hdd without using those sectors?
Attachments
Immagi ne.png
Immagine.png

October 22nd, 2018, 7:43

Spildit wrote:F3 ARCH drives like your 7200.11 Seagate are JUNK.

Replace the drive if possible with a new HGST.

Regards.

ok, thank you! :D
Post a reply