All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WD10JPCX-24UE4T0 overvoltage 12V instead of 5V
PostPosted: October 20th, 2018, 6:23 

Hello all,

I did something stupid in my hurry and i killed a working laptop hard drive by swapping accidentally the 12V and 5V power lines. So after that the spindle doesn't rotate, but clicking sounds (from the heads?) can be heard when I move my ear to the HDD. I gently unscrewed the PCB and i saw that underneath it there is something silky soft, between the HDD casing and PCB. So I've inspected the PCB for some burns and fries, but I didn't see anything of this (like burns on didodes, capacitors or resistors), just a small black dot (unevenly aligned) on the WD NAUTILUS chip, which during my research i found out that it is a motor control chip. PCB Board rev. A (2060-771960-00) If you need more names and numbers/photos, tell me which.

So now the question of the year is... what next? Can it be resurrected, if so can it be done replacing TVS diodes and the WD NAUTILUS chip (i think i can find a donor), do I need a whole new PCB, like, do the other (RAM, ROM and Marvell controller) are also casualties if there was a 12V surge to the 5V lane?

Any material to read and opinions are welcome.

Post subject: Re: WD10JPCX-24UE4T0 overvoltage 12V instead of 5V
PostPosted: October 20th, 2018, 12:30 

Please do not post me PMs, because i cannot answer yet...

Quote:
We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more to be able to use this feature.

Да, в София съм

PostPosted: October 20th, 2018, 13:18 

If motor controller chip is burned it's better to find a new pcb and swap ic U12.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2018, 13:58 

I could obtain a WD5000LPVX donor board, it looks pretty much like the one on WD10JPCX, but I need to inspect things closer.

What is the reason that only the motor control chip cannot be replaced without the rest of the electronics?

PostPosted: October 20th, 2018, 14:58 

Replacing motor controller chip is much more though and it doesn't give you any assurance of getting a working PCB, because could be also other damaged components (mosfet, diodes, capacitors, etc).
It's much easier and secure to change pcb with a good working one and then swap the rom chip.
If you have tools as WDMarvel you can even adapt donor pcb without swapping rom physically

PostPosted: October 20th, 2018, 15:48 

@vami, here is one supplier who includes a firmware transfer (U12) in the price:

https://www.onepcbsolution.com/529288153wd.html
https://sep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-44463692235217/771960-8.gif

PostPosted: October 21st, 2018, 4:17 

Hello,

Quote:
Replacing motor controller chip is much more though and it doesn't give you any assurance of getting a working PCB, because could be also other damaged components (mosfet, diodes, capacitors, etc).

Taking a look to this TQFP-64 chip it isn't much of a hassle with a hot-air station to replace, i have already replaced several quad-packs on routers, motherboards, etc. As for the other components they seem fine on the board (no blacks, melts), what concerns me is if the RAM, Controller and EEPROM have survived, I do not know what is the circuit design to determine if they are "protected" by some circuitry before them. And how come if this IC is dead, can I guarantee that also the U12 25Cxxx isn't dead too (being also a 5V device)?

Quote:
@vami, here is one supplier who includes a firmware transfer (U12) in the price:

The drive & it's contents just doesn't worth that much; I've got the drive for 30 EUR and I'm not willing to invest more than 10 EUR to fix it, the data is of no importance (Linux distros installations) I just don't want to throw away a mechanically good drive. Perhaps I'll buy some donor with a good motor chip for few bucks and try to replace the motor controller, or in the trash can it goes...

Any insight on the circuit design and workings are welcome.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2018, 17:31 

U12 is probably powered from a Vio supply of 3.3V or 2.5V. The motor controller combo chip also produces the Vcore and Vio supplies for the PCB. This chip incorporates the MOSFETs and diodes for these switchmode supplies, and it provides the PWM control. Inductors L2, L4 and L5 are the corresponding external passive elements.

For an insight into SMOOTH motor controller chips, see the L7250 datasheet.

Tutorial - Linear and Switchmode Regulators used in HDDs:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=231

L7250, SMOOTH, spindle motor + VCM controller, ST Microelectronics:
http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/SGSThomsonMicroelectronics/mXyuswx.pdf

Edit: You would need to confirm whether the preamp (on the headstack inside the HDA) is damaged. To this end I would locate the supply voltage test points at the HDA contacts (J1).

PostPosted: October 26th, 2018, 7:43 

Hello,

Just wanted to make a progress report. I've bought a donor and swapped the ROM chip U12. The original board number is 2060-771960-000 Rev A and the donor is 2060-771959-000 Rev P. I've examined both boards, they're pretty much the same, several components aren't soldered, that IMHO don't actually interfere with the functionality (fuses and several passives).

So after the switch the hard drive spins up and there is a clicking sounds from the heads in an interval of around one sec, click, click (didn't count them but do not last long) and then it "enters" perhaps some kind of power down mode. Then it waits a while and spins up again, click click and gives up and repeat. The drive is detected by the OS but it cannot report anything. (size, partitions, heads cylinders)

As far as I've read in these forums this should indicate some mechanical problem, perhaps something related to the head assembly, as stated by fzabkar.

Since I do not have any special tools or other Ideas I'm gonna leave things for now such as they are, my post is for reference for those looking to handle things themselves. Hopefully they have more luck connecting Molex to SATA cables than me...

As always any comments and suggestions are very welcome.

PostPosted: October 26th, 2018, 8:49 

WD5000LPVX board and WD10JPCX are not compatible....

PostPosted: October 26th, 2018, 12:15 

Probably, it doesn't fit exactly mechanically, but cannot be sure without schematic.

Anyways couldn't find closest donor than this one.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2018, 17:27 

Thank you for the replies, I'll think about it. Just don't have the time currently...