All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does an unpowered HDD lose data over time? (bitrot)
PostPosted: October 21st, 2018, 4:39 

Banned User

I've seen a lot of stuff on the topic of bit rot / decay over the internet, and some bold claims. I'm specifically talking about magnetic decay / superparamagetiam (if that's the word). There hasn't been any studies done which makes sense as hard drives are cycled frequently so it isn't really a major issue. The only even slightly credible thing is Wikipedia does state it happens but it only cites superparamagetiam. A couple of Reddit posts and forum posts that do go into the science a bit but are disputed in replies or not very credible. One thing I have personally noticed when watching a few videos of people showing old HDD from mid to late 80's is they always have to reformat them, every time. Says they're corrupt. One even reported no bad sectors after a low level but was corrupt before that.

Does anyone have any experience with "bit rot" in this way? I know that magnets do lose their magnetism over time, and we're dealing with nanometer regions with platters so it makes sense from that point. But I'm no expert, in the slightest. I imagine the case might be that something else is going to fail long before this happens but could happen eventually.