Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Seagate ST4000LM024 - tools needed for head swap

November 8th, 2018, 10:06

I just swapped heads on one of these for the first time, some info on what you need as I wasn't expecting to use such a mixed set of tools:

To remove the top cover you need:

- Red circle: P6
- Blue circle: T6
- Yellow circle: T8

Once you're in, the head connector is T5. You also need the PCB off which is also T5.

To get the heads off the ramp you need to get the head stop out, it's screwed in underneath with a P6. As you remove the head stop the bottom magnet wants to pull it in, so it needs a firm grip on the pliers.

The get the bottom head screw out it's T8, and it's tighter than any head screw I've come across.
Attachments
20181108_153622_new.jpg
20181108_152936.jpg

Re: Seagate ST4000LM024 - tools needed for head swap

November 8th, 2018, 11:11

The problem is that head replacement requires some more tools... mostly software and skills than just screwdrivers.

November 8th, 2018, 11:14

The article is not intended for DIY attempts, it for us who do this for a living to know what you need up front to save a few minutes of our time.

November 8th, 2018, 12:23

Yeah, lots of different screws. Similar to WD Slim (Blade) family, very annoying.

November 8th, 2018, 14:42

Did two today, nice head tool from HDD surgery makes it easier to remove the heads than home made tools :-)

I also leave the magnet screw in over where you unscrew the magnet from underneath with the P6, makes it easier removing the magnet with the brake in place.

November 8th, 2018, 23:50

Masterclass wrote:The problem is that head replacement requires some more tools... mostly software and skills than just screwdrivers.

Hi Expert ,
Do You have a idea how expert Nick_CT is ? . From His First Post Did You Even Get 1% Sense That He is Referring To " US ALL " Not Newbie DIY Guys . Believe Me He Has All Three Brain , Skills And Tools

@ Nick_CT ,
Thanks For This Info Nick ,I Have Never Swapped These But I Will Remember It ,BTW Spyglass Also Is a Beast ,I am Working On Few Of Those These Days

April 11th, 2019, 9:45

Amarbir[CDR-Labs] wrote:
Masterclass wrote:The problem is that head replacement requires some more tools... mostly software and skills than just screwdrivers.

@ Nick_CT ,
Thanks For This Info Nick ,I Have Never Swapped These But I Will Remember It ,BTW Spyglass Also Is a Beast ,I am Working On Few Of Those These Days

If you have the head comb from Apex Lab it's really easy, and the tools are very cheap and good quality for the money.

https://apextoollab.com/#portfolio

Plus you get a pair of them, which helps a lot. They really are good value.

April 11th, 2019, 14:50

Amarbir[CDR-Labs] wrote: .....Not Newbie DIY Guys ....
....BTW Spyglass Also Is a Beast ,I am Working On Few Of Those These Days...

Deer Armabir,
Did you finally find heads map in RAM for Spyglasses or not yet?

April 11th, 2019, 15:41

DR-Kiev wrote:
Amarbir[CDR-Labs] wrote: .....Not Newbie DIY Guys ....
....BTW Spyglass Also Is a Beast ,I am Working On Few Of Those These Days...

Deer Armabir,
Did you finally find heads map in RAM for Spyglasses or not yet?

My guess is NOT! :-)
Post a reply