Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Device Manager Recognizes External Usb, But Not Disk Manager

November 12th, 2018, 21:53

I have a 4TB WD harddrive connected externally (via a harddrive case) to my Windows 10 computer via from USB3 connection. Device Manager recognizes it as "TO Exter nal USB 3.0 SCSI Disk Device", but neither Disk Management or Windows Explorer can access it.

This drive a 2nd internal drive mounted within my older Windows 7 machine which had died. Prior to that machine dying, I reformatted the drive and removed it to be used in a 4 bay external case. It did the same thing in it, so I tried it outside the four bay in a single and the same thing happens. I have tried different USB ports and computers with the same results.

Is anyone able to suggest any fix to get this drive usable again? I suspect I did something to make this 4TB drive usable in Windows 7 taht mucked up its basic operation in another system. I'd hate to have to toss away a 4TB drive less than 12 months old.

Re: Device Manager Recognizes External Usb, But Not Disk Man

November 13th, 2018, 13:13

Do you supply power via USB only or via external power supply ?
What model 4 TB WD drive are we talking about?

November 13th, 2018, 13:29

Hi Digisupport,

The harddrive enclosures hosting the harddrive are both powered.
Th WD Drive is of the "Green" model.

I hope this helps.

November 13th, 2018, 18:55

Sorry ... its a WD "Blue", not "Green"
Post a reply