Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Samsung Sp1604n - old IDE - Data recovery

November 17th, 2018, 5:42

Hello guys,

sorry for my english! :D

i got an old Samsung HDD which has a broken PCB. I already bought 3 other kinds of this HDD an switched the boards. It spins up with another PCB but makes a endless clicking sound. I think it it trying to find the right "jump in point" but cannot because the firmware or the bios-chip is not exactly the same.

So i made some measurements and comapred them to the other boards. And just by making these measurements (just ohm, hdd turned off) i broke another PCB.. Oo

And it has the same symptoms now. So now i am stuck and don't know what to do. They diodes should be okay.

My idea now is just to fix the baord of my original HDD. I can't be something to hard to fix. Because i think it just lay around for years after workinmg good. And when i tried to start it again after years, the PCB is broken!? Furthermore you cannot see any damages on the board neither burned stuff or so.

I attach some measurements i made: (red is the original board, and green one of the other before it broke too :D .. both ohm continuity measurements) (yellow was the only "turn on" volt measurement of other boards and red the original)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8bxq4kfcou45gf/sasmsungSP1604n.jpg?dl=0

Unfortunately my external HDD connector broke a few minutes ago because i pulled the wires too hard :S. Any advice of a cheap one?

Thanks in advance and cheers!!
Post a reply