All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WDBY8L0020BBK-01 Passport External drive no detection
PostPosted: December 12th, 2018, 10:12 

Yesterday, this drive stopped detecting. Doesn't show up on device manager, nor disk management in Windows 10.

I have tried connecting it on 3 separate computers as well and same problem. I also swapped the micro USB cable with 3 other cables and had the same results.

However, the drive still powers on, motor spins, and led is on.

The drive, I assume, can no longer communicate with the computer. Maybe this is a pcb issue? Drive has never been dropped.

Also, I was trying to unscrew the pcb, but I don't have the right size torx. Anyone know what size screw bit is needed?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: WDBY8L0020BBK-01 Passport External drive no detection
PostPosted: December 12th, 2018, 10:56 

It's very unlikely to be the PCB, more like firmware and/or media issues. Although you could try a USB 2 cable, with the smaller connection.

If the data isn't that important and you're willing to take the risks of DIY (not easy due to SATA conversion, firmware repair, imaging around bad sectors, encryption etc..), then there are some threads on here that may help. Search "slow responding" for starters.

Otherwise if the data IS important then send to a data recovery company, it shouldn't be too expensive AT THIS STAGE but could easily get a lot worse very quickly if you play with it too much!

Good luck! :-)

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!

PostPosted: December 12th, 2018, 12:13 

My first suggestion would be to try it on a linux PC. Sometimes it'll see drives where Windows won't. You can get puppy linux, burn it on a LiveCD and it'll boot it without ever having to install it on your computer. If it recognizes your drive, get your stuff off it as fast as you can. I was able to salvage my data from a couple WDs that way.

As for torx, they're different sizes. I'd say any modern tinkerer needs to invest in one of those smartphone toolcases. It'll come with a good assortment of tiny torx and some other gadgets that prove useful.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2018, 12:34 

maude wrote:
My first suggestion would be to try it on a linux PC. Sometimes it'll see drives where Windows won't. You can get puppy linux, burn it on a LiveCD and it'll boot it without ever having to install it on your computer. If it recognizes your drive, get your stuff off it as fast as you can. I was able to salvage my data from a couple WDs that way.

Would Android work as well? I've tried connecting it to my phone running stock Android 8. Drive was recognized in the past but now it doesn't show up in file manager.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2018, 12:45 

I can't say. I've never tried it with Android.

Have you checked to see if it shows up in disk management and if so, if it's the correct size?

PostPosted: December 12th, 2018, 13:01 

Yes, not detected in disk management on 2 computers running windows. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try mounting linux on a USB thumb drive or something when I have time.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2018, 21:01 

I just tried Puppy Linux and the drive did not detect. Thanks for suggesting it anyway.