All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ATA enhanced secure erase takes long time to complete
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2019, 19:33 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 4th, 2012, 1:35
Posts: 3372
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Nvidea wrote:
Thanks much,,
from Prosoft MediaTools Wipe 1.2 Build 130626 you know where find Keygen?


https://www.prosofteng.com/mediatoolswipe-disk-wipe/

but you knew that already


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATA enhanced secure erase takes long time to complete
PostPosted: March 4th, 2019, 7:32 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: November 25th, 2018, 16:03
Posts: 48
Location: Portugal
HaQue wrote:
Nvidea wrote:
Thanks much,,
from Prosoft MediaTools Wipe 1.2 Build 130626 you know where find Keygen?


https://www.prosofteng.com/mediatoolswipe-disk-wipe/

but you knew that already



hello,, no i no have nothing equipment .. only for DEMOS
At moment i'm on samsung on bug and sectors bad .. i allready run DBAN sucesful but came back bad-sectors on mhdd
HDAT2 no detect nothing and i no i'm able to unlock the password to security erase ...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATA enhanced secure erase takes long time to complete
PostPosted: March 4th, 2019, 17:52 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: November 25th, 2018, 16:03
Posts: 48
Location: Portugal
any can help me?

on SRT demo, can i write good modules to other HD on (same model)on bad modules? to superscribe to other HDdriver? hd is freezing when I READ the modules to backup, many are in (X red) ..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATA enhanced secure erase takes long time to complete
PostPosted: March 7th, 2019, 11:31 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 27th, 2018, 9:10
Posts: 27
Location: Kernel
Uh, I have no idea where to get that. If you're looking for software to securely erase drives, get MiniTool Partition Wizard. Or use Linux's shred utility


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATA enhanced secure erase takes long time to complete
PostPosted: March 7th, 2019, 11:38 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 27th, 2018, 9:10
Posts: 27
Location: Kernel
Quote:
hello,, no i no have nothing equipment .. only for DEMOS
At moment i'm on samsung on bug and sectors bad .. i allready run DBAN sucesful but came back bad-sectors on mhdd
HDAT2 no detect nothing and i no i'm able to unlock the password to security erase ...

If the drive is in frozen state, try to uninstall the security feature in DCO settings on HDAT2. I had the same issue, you must uninstall the security feature and then reboot the PC. After rebooting, reinstall the security feature, this is what worked for me


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATA enhanced secure erase takes long time to complete
PostPosted: March 8th, 2019, 6:59 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: November 25th, 2018, 16:03
Posts: 48
Location: Portugal
okey thank,,succeed make securiy erase on HDAT2,,but my drive is stopping with DBAN at 95%
many bad sectors ... what to DO to fix bad sectors? I clean the smart and zero fill?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATA enhanced secure erase takes long time to complete
PostPosted: March 8th, 2019, 13:25 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 27th, 2018, 9:10
Posts: 27
Location: Kernel
Perhaps it may be failing because of write/read buffer. Try to use HDAT2's wipe feature instead. If it fails on HDAT2, you should use the UNIX/Linux dd utility with:
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdX oflag=direct status=progress

Where X in sdX is the drive letter associated by Linux. If this is the only hard drive installed in the computer (as primary master), you should use sda. You could use SliTaz which is a very minimalist Linux distribution


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATA enhanced secure erase takes long time to complete
PostPosted: March 8th, 2019, 18:30 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: November 25th, 2018, 16:03
Posts: 48
Location: Portugal
hello i no i'm able mke boot on usb,, i try on RUFUS, Yumi no work ..

in advance I need to enter the terminal and enter this command right?
i'm on HD on Primary Master ... SDA

sudo dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda oflag=direct status=progress


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATA enhanced secure erase takes long time to complete
PostPosted: March 9th, 2019, 1:17 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 27th, 2018, 9:10
Posts: 27
Location: Kernel
Nvidea wrote:
hello i no i'm able mke boot on usb,, i try on RUFUS, Yumi no work ..

Try Universal USB Installer. If there is no SliTaz entry in it, use 'Try via DD' option. You will have to clear its MBR and re-partition the flash drive after though; not a big deal if you don't have anything important in it

Nvidea wrote:
in advance I need to enter the terminal and enter this command right?
i'm on HD on Primary Master ... SDA

sudo dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda oflag=direct status=progress

Yes, correct


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATA enhanced secure erase takes long time to complete
PostPosted: March 9th, 2019, 8:46 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: November 25th, 2018, 16:03
Posts: 48
Location: Portugal
Krush206,
my friend i get erro,, maybe need root acess ? sudo not found
i tipe su and password root but i get same thing ...
I have no experience with linux,,, it run on ubunt also correct? any distribution

https://imgur.com/a/75ZtlDs

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M
it also will work correct?

:roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATA enhanced secure erase takes long time to complete
PostPosted: March 9th, 2019, 10:35 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 27th, 2018, 9:10
Posts: 27
Location: Kernel
Nvidea wrote:
Krush206,
my friend i get erro,, maybe need root acess ? sudo not found
i tipe su and password root but i get same thing ...
I have no experience with linux,,, it run on ubunt also correct? any distribution

I mainly recommended SliTaz because of its size, though I've never used it before. A typical Linux distribution is about 1.5 GB or so. Try that instead:
Code:
su

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda oflag=direct status=progress

If that doesn't work either, use Xubuntu
Nvidea wrote:
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M
it also will work correct?

:roll:

No, oflag=direct ensures no buffer is used while writing data. You shouldn't use the bs=1M. By default, dd doesn't shows a progress status, status=progress will enable that


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATA enhanced secure erase takes long time to complete
PostPosted: March 9th, 2019, 11:30 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: November 25th, 2018, 16:03
Posts: 48
Location: Portugal
i find it here
https://askubuntu.com/questions/17640/h ... hard-drive
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ing-a-disk

Quote:
No, oflag=direct ensures no buffer is used while writing data. You shouldn't use the bs=1M. By default, dd doesn't shows a progress status, status=progress will enable that

okey thank muck :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATA enhanced secure erase takes long time to complete
PostPosted: March 9th, 2019, 16:44 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: November 25th, 2018, 16:03
Posts: 48
Location: Portugal
hmmm
It is running at the moment,, seems very slow :shock:
500GB takes long? With your experience, how long did it take? :idea:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATA enhanced secure erase takes long time to complete
PostPosted: March 9th, 2019, 17:03 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 27th, 2018, 9:10
Posts: 27
Location: Kernel
Nvidea wrote:
hmmm
It is running at the moment,, seems very slow :shock:
500GB takes long? With your experience, how long did it take? :idea:

It will take some time to complete since buffer is not being used. I recently zero-filled my external hard drive (320 GB) with oflag=direct, it took about 3/2 days to complete


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATA enhanced secure erase takes long time to complete
PostPosted: March 9th, 2019, 21:04 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:49
Posts: 10828
Location: Portugal
The more i read this thread the more i think this is a big joke ...

Just buy a new drive ? You are not going to be able to fix it with software ...

_________________
1Q9xrDTzTddUXeJAFRn37aqh1Yr6buDCdw - (Bitcoin Donations)
paypal.me/Spildit - (PayPal Donations)
The HDD Oracle - Platform for OPEN research on Data Recovery.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATA enhanced secure erase takes long time to complete
PostPosted: March 9th, 2019, 22:31 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 27th, 2018, 9:10
Posts: 27
Location: Kernel
Spildit wrote:
The more i read this thread the more i think this is a big joke ...

Just buy a new drive ? You are not going to be able to fix it with software ...

Some rotational drives fail to reallocate sectors because of write buffering. So he may have a chance to get those bad sectors away by writing data to the sectors without buffer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATA enhanced secure erase takes long time to complete
PostPosted: March 9th, 2019, 22:40 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:49
Posts: 10828
Location: Portugal
Krush206 wrote:
Spildit wrote:
The more i read this thread the more i think this is a big joke ...

Just buy a new drive ? You are not going to be able to fix it with software ...

Some rotational drives fail to reallocate sectors because of write buffering. So he may have a chance to get those bad sectors away by writing data to the sectors without buffer


Better yet ....

Krush206 wrote:
So, I ended up putting the drive in the freezer four times or so, that didn't solve the issue. But then I thought about using a magnet and it worked! I have no idea why but after magnetizing the drive there are no more read failures. Though, I still think there is something botched in the drive's firmware, S.M.A.R.T. data's attributes got randomized a couple of times after freezing the drive. This is not new though, it used to get randomized very few times even before I froze the drive. But stopped after using a magnet


NOT !!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:


And when you WRITE to a sector you are ALLWAYS sending data from the BUFFER on the PCB RAM to be stored on the drive physical C/H/S. It doesn't matter if you have a big stack of data on RAM or if you are sending one sector at a time you do need to use buffer each way !

_________________
1Q9xrDTzTddUXeJAFRn37aqh1Yr6buDCdw - (Bitcoin Donations)
paypal.me/Spildit - (PayPal Donations)
The HDD Oracle - Platform for OPEN research on Data Recovery.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATA enhanced secure erase takes long time to complete
PostPosted: March 9th, 2019, 22:56 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 27th, 2018, 9:10
Posts: 27
Location: Kernel
I actually meant cache, not buffer. I think you should read this
Quote:
I have seen the same thing happen due to writes going through the cache. dd by default does write system calls 512 bytes at a time. This goes through a cache layer operating with 4096 byte blocks. But the underlying media still uses 512 byte sectors.

So when dd does a write system call, the kernel will load the 4096 byte block from disk in order to change the 512 bytes and write it back. When this happens it is the reading step which fails, so the kernel never makes it to the writing step.

The way I have been getting around that is to bypass the cache. Specifying oflag=direct bypasses the caching layer for the write operations. Since that can cause a significant reduction in performance, I only used it to write the single bad sector by using seek=(offset) and count=1.

This is not limited to dd though. Every HDD overwriting application uses write cache, because it's a function enabled by default in most rotational drives. So you must explicitly disable it in the OS


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATA enhanced secure erase takes long time to complete
PostPosted: March 10th, 2019, 9:38 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:49
Posts: 10828
Location: Portugal
Krush206 wrote:
I actually meant cache, not buffer. I think you should read this
Quote:
I have seen the same thing happen due to writes going through the cache. dd by default does write system calls 512 bytes at a time. This goes through a cache layer operating with 4096 byte blocks. But the underlying media still uses 512 byte sectors.

So when dd does a write system call, the kernel will load the 4096 byte block from disk in order to change the 512 bytes and write it back. When this happens it is the reading step which fails, so the kernel never makes it to the writing step.

The way I have been getting around that is to bypass the cache. Specifying oflag=direct bypasses the caching layer for the write operations. Since that can cause a significant reduction in performance, I only used it to write the single bad sector by using seek=(offset) and count=1.

This is not limited to dd though. Every HDD overwriting application uses write cache, because it's a function enabled by default in most rotational drives. So you must explicitly disable it in the OS


Send the 82 00 00 00 00 00 EF command. It will disable write cache ... And it will NOT HELP recovering data or fixing drives ....

If the drive is already fuc*** this will NOT HELP.

If a drive doesn't work properly with WRITE CACHE ON and you don't care for the data just don't usethe drive ...

Also there are some indicators on some drives that something is not correct when you have cache DISABLED.

For example on IBM based drives including Hitachi and HGST if they do have a problem in firmware even like for example a security module that doesn't read properly from copy 0 the drive will initialize with WRITE CACHE OFF. This indicates to experienced people that the drive does have a firmware issue.

If a sector is BAD you will not be able to write to it even if you disable WRITE CACHE. What you describe is when you hit a bad sector on some drives if will NOT write the other sectors from the cache to the next good sectors on the drive. This doesn't mean that you will FIX the drive or the bad sector by disabling cache. You will be sending less data at a time, sector by sector to attempt to force re-location of bad blocks. This doesn't mean you should re-use a drive on that state ... If you do you will sooner or later loose all the data on the drive when the heads die for good or when the drive do get more bad sectors now on the place where you did write your only copy of your data ...

_________________
1Q9xrDTzTddUXeJAFRn37aqh1Yr6buDCdw - (Bitcoin Donations)
paypal.me/Spildit - (PayPal Donations)
The HDD Oracle - Platform for OPEN research on Data Recovery.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ATA enhanced secure erase takes long time to complete
PostPosted: March 10th, 2019, 10:09 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 27th, 2018, 9:10
Posts: 27
Location: Kernel
Chill dude, you quit too easily. This is still a solution given by someone in this topic I linked, you don't even know if it will work for Nvidea's hard drive. However, it actually worked on my external hard drive. This drive had a couple of pending sectors which weren't readable even after zero-filling it, so I used the oflag=direct option and those pending sectors went away (they were not reallocated)

And according to dd's man page, this is what direct option does:
Code:
Use direct I/O for data


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group