Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this HDD

January 21st, 2019, 5:17

I have a Seagate ultra slim portable drive 2TB. When I was transferring data I accidentally clicked reboot immediately when system prompts automatically update complete. After that the drive stopped working, It's showing up in the device manager, but not disc management. I could only hear and feel it's spinning and clicking. Using 'Seatools' will only halts on scanning for drives.
Eventually I decided to open the drive... I know it's very unprofessional and should be done in a dust free environment, but I did it anyway. I recorded a few seconds video of how the actuator is behaving
https://youtu.be/DV75TJ2Ha4E

Re: Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this HDD

January 21st, 2019, 11:54

Drive has physical issues (bad heads at least) and most likely some media issues, more so now you've opened it and let the it run without the lid on :-(

Re: Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this HDD

January 21st, 2019, 12:23

I agree with pcimage. May still be recoverable, but it will likely cost you more after you opened it.
Post a reply