All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: external WD My Book WD20EARX not working
PostPosted: January 27th, 2019, 15:05 

I would go for a paid license of WDMarvel and test with the SATA PCB to see if it's possible to write cleared RE-LO to ALL COPIES of SA ... Same for module 02.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2019, 21:40 

Spildit wrote:
The patched 32 looks ok but i can't understand why are you getting pending re-located sectors on S.M.A.R.T. ... Maybe the drive is reading copy 1 of the module ? Strange ...
I only have limited experience, but from what I have seen the mod 32 patch (clearing the RELO list) has no effect on the SMART results. Also, from what I can tell, it really doesn't do anything. The mod 02 patch is what fixes the slow issue. I made the mod 32 patch in HDDSuperTool because of information provided in forums (probably your HDD Oracle) that other tools did that for the slow issue. @Spildit, I am somewhat surprised you are not aware of this.

datarulestheworld wrote:
I was able to connect the bad drive on another PC I had running windows 7 x32. In Victoria 4.68b, the drive was recognized and SMART tested GOOD, much like CrystalDiskInfo, but when I ran a Test on the first 100,000 LBA's and it first gave an "recalibration..... Error" and then it went through the LBA's and they all gave "Error:ABRT". Does this mean the heads are completely dead? Should I open it to take a look? I will let it run though more LBA's but it's not looking good. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Any advice is truly appreciated. I can't find much on google for these errors. People state either FW problems or password, but the security states its "Frozen!".

datarulestheworld wrote:
Spildit
I reread the mod02 and mod32 and did a hex compare against the patched versions and they were identical. Did another SMART info and indeed there are still pending reallocations. So the modules are slow issue fixed but as you state the drive seems to be looking somewhere else for the re-lo list. I also tried to read a few LBAs and got the same errors as before. I understand that I have made it to the end of the available free solutions. What are my options to continue learning and diagnosing but while not having to spend a lot of money. Im really enjoying this and would really like to solve it.

Are you sure the drive is not security locked? That would cause the LBA aborts that you report from Victoria. Maybe the drive is locked by the USB bridge. Try putting it back in the USB enclosure and seeing if it can read. Read aborts are usually caused by two things, either the drive is security locked, or the translator has issues. The other possibility is that it was trying to read and failing, then the drive locked up due to a fatal device error, and all reads (and likely commands) would fail after that. Try to clone with HDDSuperClone for a minute and see what happens. Try both connected direct as SATA and also in the USB enclosure. If you don’t have a destination drive yet, use NULL (no destination) as the destination. You only need to run it for a minute to get an idea of what is going on. I can help diagnose from the HDDSuperClone log and output messages.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 1:10 

Spildit wrote:
I would go for a paid license of WDMarvel and test with the SATA PCB to see if it's possible to write cleared RE-LO to ALL COPIES of SA ... Same for module 02.

If I buy a 1, 3 or 6 month license and decide to upgrade to lifetime, are you aware of they do this? Also about the SATA PCB do I just buy another one of the same model. Mine is 2060-771698-002 REV A. I did see a few posts here and HDDOracle about this PCB board getting fried or bad TVS chips with overvoltages and damaging the board and/or the preamplifiers on the headstack. Once I know which SATA PCB Board I need do I just write the ROM from mine over to new one with WDMarvel? Also to be clear my drive has the SATA PCB Board above and then has a piggybacked USB Board connected to the SATA connectors of the SATA Board. The model of my USB Board is 4060-705059-003 REV. P1. If the encryption is on the USB Board how do I transfer the key over to the SATA Board?

maximus wrote:
Are you sure the drive is not security locked? That would cause the LBA aborts that you report from Victoria. Maybe the drive is locked by the USB bridge. Try putting it back in the USB enclosure and seeing if it can read. Read aborts are usually caused by two things, either the drive is security locked, or the translator has issues. The other possibility is that it was trying to read and failing, then the drive locked up due to a fatal device error, and all reads (and likely commands) would fail after that. Try to clone with HDDSuperClone for a minute and see what happens. Try both connected direct as SATA and also in the USB enclosure. If you don’t have a destination drive yet, use NULL (no destination) as the destination. You only need to run it for a minute to get an idea of what is going on. I can help diagnose from the HDDSuperClone log and output messages.

Thanks for the great tools you provided and your willingness to help. I especially love the Linux bootable CD which allows to me use Linux on the fly without having to install it. Truly awesome!

I ran HDDSuperClone with destination NULL with the bad drive connected via the USB Board and with the drive connected directly to SATA. All the other settings were the default. I have attached both logs. In both instances the cloning failed pretty quickly, less than 30secs. But if I am reading the logs correctly, it seems that the USB connection made it a little further.

Also regarding security locking I believe that the chip that is important for locking the drive is on the USB Board and mine is initio inic-1607E. In a paper I read about this chip it seems we can extract the key. Still trying to understand how.

Attachments:
Data recovery.zip [6.47 KiB]
Downloaded 37 times

PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 9:37 

datarulestheworld wrote:
I ran HDDSuperClone with destination NULL with the bad drive connected via the USB Board and with the drive connected directly to SATA. All the other settings were the default. I have attached both logs. In both instances the cloning failed pretty quickly, less than 30secs. But if I am reading the logs correctly, it seems that the USB connection made it a little further.

Yup, all aborts with no other status bits set, so you have no LBA access. I have read somewhere that on WD drives a bad head(s) can cause the translator not to load properly. You will definitely need a firmware tool to be able to read from the good heads. I am sure @Spildit is pointing you in the right direction.

It is interesting that it made it twice as far with the SCSI passthrough than the ATA passthrough, but that must be something in the program that I should look into. It should have stopped at the same spot for runaway skipping, but it allowed a second run with the SCSI passthrough.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 15:19 

maximus wrote:
I only have limited experience, but from what I have seen the mod 32 patch (clearing the RELO list) has no effect on the SMART results. Also, from what I can tell, it really doesn't do anything. The mod 02 patch is what fixes the slow issue. I made the mod 32 patch in HDDSuperTool because of information provided in forums (probably your HDD Oracle) that other tools did that for the slow issue. @Spildit, I am somewhat surprised you are not aware of this.
(...)

RELO list have the entries for the PENDING SECTORS. If you clear the RE-LO list and you check S.M.A.R.T. the drive shouldn't report pending sectors.

If you clear RE-LO and if you don't patch 02 and if the bad blocks are on the middle/end of the drive (on a place that is not accesible unless you read a specific file) the drive will not attempt to check those sectors as the entries for them on RE-LO will be gone. Loading RE-LO to RAM causes part of the issue as the drive gets slower if you get many entries on RE-LO loaded to RAM even if you did already disabled background media scan.

To the OP this is the end of DO-IT-YOURSELF.

If the OP is stuck either get assistence from professional data recovery firm or forget about the drive/data.

At this point there is nothing more that i can add.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 19:19 

Well thank you both for all your help. I will purchase lifetime wdmarvell and play with it to see what I can do with my drive. This is too much fun to stop here and call it quits.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2019, 20:57 

Cool !!!!

Good luck !

PostPosted: January 29th, 2019, 15:14 

Need some advice. I was going to buy the wd marvel lifetime but I have learned the MRT has low initial cost and then a monthly option which is reasonable and seems like a nice way to learn as you go. I have done a lot of reading and it seems to have most of the beginner level options that PC3000 and its much cheaper especially with this payment plan option. This way I can play with it. Learn as I go. See if I like this line of work so Incan assess if this might be something I would like to do as a career. I know I have a long way to go but you gotta start somewhere.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2019, 15:50 

datarulestheworld wrote:
Need some advice. I was going to buy the wd marvel lifetime but I have learned the MRT has low initial cost and then a monthly option which is reasonable and seems like a nice way to learn as you go. I have done a lot of reading and it seems to have most of the beginner level options that PC3000 and its much cheaper especially with this payment plan option. This way I can play with it. Learn as I go. See if I like this line of work so Incan assess if this might be something I would like to do as a career. I know I have a long way to go but you gotta start somewhere.

Sure, MRT have the hardware card and it's cool to start with as it does have support for many brands and even (experimenal) SSD.

SeDiv is good as well but not it's a little bit expensive and it doesn't have hardware card.

Even so WDMarvel is very good for WD Marvell based drives.

I will try MRT Ultra as soon as i get a system running for it and i will let you know.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2019, 0:35 

Thanks spildit. Cant wait to hear your opinion. Btw, in md marvel demo when checking sa modules i just realized I am getting a crc invalid on 6F. All the others are fine. According to
https://forum.dolphindatalab.com/thread-390.html
Writing a good 6F module is recommended.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2019, 4:46 

6F is almost always “bad” and not required.

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!

PostPosted: February 1st, 2019, 1:25 

Thanks pcimage. I will not touch 6F.

I was playing with WD Marvel Demo while I decide what I'm going to do about MRT and I found this great article by Professor Spildit http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=1498

I tried the RAM Edit Head Map and tried all 6 heads one by one. Each one continued to give the clicking noise. Each head and all of them together upon hitting the soft reset gave the AMNF error. I think this means that the heads crashed and the device probably needs a head swap.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2019, 10:28 

If the heads weren't to read at all how were you able to get the SA modules ? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Send the drive to a data recovery firm. Honestly at this point there is nothing more that you can do !

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2019, 17:40 

Thanks Spildit but Im going to the end. Im also considering building my own clean room like Larysabo did. I have a lot of the materials already. I wont start with this drive though. Ill take apart a drive with no data but will scan the drive before and after and will remove the heads and reinstall them. Im also purchasing a head combs suite. I own a lot of electronics equipment already since I do Pcb rework on the side. I havent stopped researching the topic so I am confident that when I solve this drive I will get the data extracted. This forum, data-medics and hddoracle have reading to keep me busy for a long time.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2019, 0:05 

Spildit

What about an HRT card? I see you use them. Would these be a good entry level card for me? My PC only has standard PCI slots too which wouldnt work with MRT.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2019, 15:59 

datarulestheworld wrote:
Spildit

What about an HRT card? I see you use them. Would these be a good entry level card for me? My PC only has standard PCI slots too which wouldnt work with MRT.

HRT only works with old drives (unless you do know vendor specific commands to upgrade the software yourself by writing your ini entries) and 2 - you do need a HRT 5.0 UDMA to be reasonable fast (otherwise 3.0 card will be PIO only and will be slooooowwwww to modern drives) and last it's impossible to buy as BVG no longer makes those cards and no-one is willing to sell used ones.

HRT is great for research but it's not the best option for day-to-day-use.

If you do want to research firmware it's the best that you can have because it does have multiple ata terminals that you can add your commands and have very cool scripting language so that you can add your menus to the software to work with moder drives, etc .... BUT ... If you don't have anything else like a SeDiv to "sniff" the vendor specific commands or if you don't have a way to get those commands by other means you will not be able to "upgrade" your HRT and you will be "stuck" with definitions from 15 years ago that will NOT work on any modern drive.

If you do have MRT for modern drives one HRT even if 3.0 is still very usefull as it can work with MAXTOR, QUANTUM, WDC MCU BASED WD, etc and all other stuff that is too old for MRT to even know how to access SA ....

Eitherw ay you will still need at least other software only tools to compensate for lack of updates of HRT if not for anything else to get the vendor specific commands so that you can write your own HRT ini ...

PostPosted: February 9th, 2019, 18:27 

maximus wrote:
datarulestheworld wrote:

Yup, all aborts with no other status bits set, so you have no LBA access. I have read somewhere that on WD drives a bad head(s) can cause the translator not to load properly. You will definitely need a firmware tool to be able to read from the good heads. I am sure @Spildit is pointing you in the right direction.

It is interesting that it made it twice as far with the SCSI passthrough than the ATA passthrough, but that must be something in the program that I should look into. It should have stopped at the same spot for runaway skipping, but it allowed a second run with the SCSI passthrough.

I am happy to report that with MD Marvel I have been able to clear module 32 (RE-LO) which has updated the SMART attributes. Also I ran a head test against SA and it indeed showed a bad head #3.
Attachment:
SMART relo cleared.JPG
SMART relo cleared.JPG [ 103.91 KiB | Viewed 1254 times ]

Code:
2/9/2019 4:43:28 PM: The drive WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0                     Disk size 3907029168 - 2000Gb
2/9/2019 4:44:45 PM: P-list read successfully
2/9/2019 4:45:31 PM: Write tracks on head 0 - Ok
2/9/2019 4:45:36 PM: Read tracks on head 0 - Ok
2/9/2019 4:45:58 PM: Write tracks on head 1 - Ok
2/9/2019 4:46:02 PM: Read tracks on head 1 - Ok
2/9/2019 4:46:24 PM: Write tracks on head 2 - Ok
2/9/2019 4:46:28 PM: Read tracks on head 2 - Ok
2/9/2019 4:47:51 PM: Write tracks on head 3 - errors: 9, success: 0
2/9/2019 4:47:56 PM: The drive WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0                     Disk size 3907029168 - 2000Gb
2/9/2019 4:48:02 PM: P-list read successfully
2/9/2019 4:48:38 PM: Write tracks on head 4 - Ok
2/9/2019 4:48:42 PM: Read tracks on head 4 - Ok
2/9/2019 4:49:03 PM: Write tracks on head 5 - Ok
2/9/2019 4:49:07 PM: Read tracks on head 5 - Ok

So now my plan is to turn off head #3 and image/clone the drive. I would like to get some advise on how this is best done.
I was planning on editing the head map in ID0A by removing the broken head. Then rebooting the machine into HDDSuperClone Live CD and running an image of the drive. If this plans sounds right, then I have some questions on editing the heads:
1. I'm guessing this head map is stored in module 0A in ROM. If so, I should back it up and back up the entire ROM before messing with it. Right?
2. The head test and edit head map screens have different numbering for the heads. head test goes 0 to 5. But the edit head map goes 0,1,2,5,6,7. Am I correct to assume that the head test #3 head equals the edit head map #5 head? If not, how do I know which head to disable?
Attachment:
head test screen.JPG
head test screen.JPG [ 23.11 KiB | Viewed 1254 times ]

Attachment:
edit head map screen.JPG
edit head map screen.JPG [ 32.69 KiB | Viewed 1254 times ]

3. Any special options I need to enter into HDDSuperClone since I have disabled a head?

Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks again. The SAGA continues, but I see some light at the end of the tunnel.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2019, 18:02 

Very bad plan !!!! If you disable the Head3 in ROM then you will have a broken map when cloning as phisical heads will not match old LBAs ...

It's hard to explain but i did my best to explain it here :

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=1737

The best that you can do assuming you don't have any hardware based tools that can do head map like MRT, PC-3000, ETC is to WAIT for the newer version of WDMarvel to be released as it will be possible to clone the drive to another one using head maps :

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=2680

Now you would clone the drive using all available heads then you would do the head swap and later you would clone thedrive to the same destination but this time just head 3.

It's the safe way as you would get all data from the working heads first and even if you mess up the head swap and you end up damaging other heads you will still only need to worry about missing head 3 ...

Regards.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2019, 23:31 

Thanks for your advice once again. I have some amazing news to report. I edited the heads in RAM as shown here.
Attachment:
edit head map in RAM.JPG
edit head map in RAM.JPG [ 54.25 KiB | Viewed 1139 times ]

As you will see I didn't delete the head, but copied an existing head number over to the bad head slot. I then open Victoria and ran a scan and it successfully read LBA's until I stopped the scan.

Attachment:
Successful scan.JPG
Successful scan.JPG [ 115.76 KiB | Viewed 1139 times ]

I do like MD Marvel but I would have liked the cloning to also have the image option and the allow for USB drives. Could I replicate what I did in RAM to ROM and then run HDDSuperClone?

PostPosted: February 17th, 2019, 16:11 

datarulestheworld wrote:
(...)I do like MD Marvel but I would have liked the cloning to also have the image option and the allow for USB drives. Could I replicate what I did in RAM to ROM and then run HDDSuperClone?

The NEW WDMarvel should be able to clone by head maps.

You can't do this by depopulating a head in ROM because of what is stated here : - http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=1737

Either wait for WDMarvel 4 to be released, get another firmware tool with DE like PC-3000 that can clone by head map or outsource the drive to someone else with better tools.

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=2680

Regards.