Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

HDD platter swap

February 4th, 2019, 12:54

Dear All Have a nice Day

Last week my hard disk stop working Toshiba 500GB

Now it is not detected by the operating system ( Windows )

I check with setup for hardware detecting but it does not detected by the setup

Now I need to recover my data from the HDD

So I decided to buy used HDD from the seller as same capacity to my HDD which 500GB

and I need to change the platter

My quectin is

Is it to possible change the different brand HDD platter to my Toshiba HDD platter

I mean my HDD platter replace with another brand HDD

Please advice

Thanks in advanced

Re: HDD platter swap

February 4th, 2019, 14:20

Normally not, you have to use the same brand, model and firmware. And being a Toshiba you will have to also transplant the BIOS with the firmware, since it is unique for each drive.

Re: HDD platter swap

February 4th, 2019, 14:34

When a hard drive fails (not seen in Windows) this can be because of many different reasons. So jumping into 'platter swaps' is definitely not the way to go. The issue might just be logical and data can be recovered with a hardware/software combination, or it might be physical and you need specialized cleanroom and head swap tools to complete the job.

Most physical failures are due to read-write head damage and these heads need to be changed in a cleanroom environment. Swapping platters is always a last resort and is normally only done if the motor has failed. If the drive has multiple platters, any misalignment between the platters can make the drive unrecoverable, so this type of work needs to be done by a professional, but as I say, this is only a last resort.

And by the way, swapping platters between different make is definitely not possible.

Re: HDD platter swap

February 4th, 2019, 14:38

How have you come to the conclusion that it needs a platter swap?

What do think you’ll achieve from this?

Re: HDD platter swap

February 4th, 2019, 14:39

fender wrote:Normally not, you have to use the same brand, model and firmware. And being a Toshiba you will have to also transplant the BIOS with the firmware, since it is unique for each drive.

Can I respectfully ask that you do not offer advice to people who come on the forum if you are not a professional data recovery engineer, or at least very knowledgeable in the field.

https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38025

Re: HDD platter swap

February 4th, 2019, 14:51

ddrecovery wrote:
fender wrote:Normally not, you have to use the same brand, model and firmware. And being a Toshiba you will have to also transplant the BIOS with the firmware, since it is unique for each drive.

Can I respectfully ask that you do not offer advice to people who come on the forum if you are not a professional data recovery engineer, or at least very knowledgeable in the field.

https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38025


I have little knowledge and I almost never try to help people because I do not want to give wrong information, but what I do know is that between different brands you can not change the platters. That is why I have decided to answer the question. I do not know what's wrong with that.I would ask for forgiveness if the information I have given is bad.

Re: HDD platter swap

February 4th, 2019, 15:07

fender wrote:
ddrecovery wrote:
fender wrote:Normally not, you have to use the same brand, model and firmware. And being a Toshiba you will have to also transplant the BIOS with the firmware, since it is unique for each drive.

Can I respectfully ask that you do not offer advice to people who come on the forum if you are not a professional data recovery engineer, or at least very knowledgeable in the field.

https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38025


I have little knowledge and I almost never try to help people because I do not want to give wrong information, but what I do know is that between different brands you can not change the platters. That is why I have decided to answer the question. I do not know what's wrong with that.I would ask for forgiveness if the information I have given is bad.

It is the subtlety of the reply. You said "normally not", which gives the impression that sometimes it can be done. You might give the OP hope that he can perform the platter swap. We try our best to protect users from their own lack of knowledge.

Re: HDD platter swap

February 4th, 2019, 15:16

ddrecovery wrote:
fender wrote:
ddrecovery wrote:
fender wrote:Normally not, you have to use the same brand, model and firmware. And being a Toshiba you will have to also transplant the BIOS with the firmware, since it is unique for each drive.

Can I respectfully ask that you do not offer advice to people who come on the forum if you are not a professional data recovery engineer, or at least very knowledgeable in the field.

https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38025


I have little knowledge and I almost never try to help people because I do not want to give wrong information, but what I do know is that between different brands you can not change the platters. That is why I have decided to answer the question. I do not know what's wrong with that.I would ask for forgiveness if the information I have given is bad.

It is the subtlety of the reply. You said "normally not", which gives the impression that sometimes it can be done. You might give the OP hope that he can perform the platter swap. We try our best to protect users from their own lack of knowledge.


do not worry, I'll try not to intervene anymore. :wink:

Re: HDD platter swap

February 4th, 2019, 15:41

fender wrote:do not worry, I'll try not to intervene anymore. :wink:

We certainly don't want you to stop learning and asking questions. That is how we all learn. All the best.

Re: HDD platter swap

February 4th, 2019, 15:44

Most Toshibas that i did get on the last weeks did suffer from fall (G-Sense error rate is high) and do have bad blocks that in turn causes damage to the G-List and makes LBAs not accessible at all.

Last 6 or 7 that i've done only on the year (since January) were possible to clone/image after G-List clear or bypass. This nomaly allows for a good percentage of data recovered that for wha i've seen might be near 95 % with just a small portion of un-recoverable sectors due to damage to the platter.

Sometimes there will be head damage as well but on majority of cases G-List bypass / hardware assisted cloning and data extraction is enough to get the necessary data back.

Swaping platters in a do-it-yourself way on a case like this is just what you need to never see your data again even if later you decide to send the drive to a pro ...

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1427

Re: HDD platter swap

February 4th, 2019, 16:28

what is your hard drive symptoms.
spinning with clicking??
no spinning ?

if your hard drive has clicking it means sometimes heads or platter problems.

there are many reasons for not working hard drive

1. PCB (ROM error, MCU error etc...)

2. Head stack (one or more heads weak or damaged, preamp error etc..)

3. platter ( bad sectors, SA bad, platter degrade etc...)

4. Firmware errors

5. Spindle motor error / stuck / head stucked

if you want to repair it

you need basically

1. knowlage about Hardware,firmware
2. cleanroom
3. hardware tools (data extract tools and firmware repair tools)
4. head replacement tools.

if you really need your data, contact Proffesional DR service.

so read againg "ddrecovery" answer.

Re: HDD platter swap

February 6th, 2019, 13:25

Dananjaya wrote:what is your hard drive symptoms.
spinning with clicking??
no spinning ?

if your hard drive has clicking it means sometimes heads or platter problems.

there are many reasons for not working hard drive

1. PCB (ROM error, MCU error etc...)

2. Head stack (one or more heads weak or damaged, preamp error etc..)

3. platter ( bad sectors, SA bad, platter degrade etc...)

4. Firmware errors

5. Spindle motor error / stuck / head stucked

if you want to repair it

you need basically

1. knowlage about Hardware,firmware
2. cleanroom
3. hardware tools (data extract tools and firmware repair tools)
4. head replacement tools.

if you really need your data, contact Proffesional DR service.

so read againg "ddrecovery" answer.



Yes motor is spinning well

it sound come out like head travel parking point and platter continuously

it get little higher heat from the motor drive IC

So I removed the PCB from the HDD and connect the PCB to power and data cable and then on the PC and then there is no heat from the motor driver

please advice nest step

Re: HDD platter swap

February 6th, 2019, 14:39

hi friend
i think you are telling about clicking.
normally this comes from bad heads.
according to your post you have not enough experience for swapping heads. sometimes after head swapping need to repair firmware. sometimes no need to head swap.

so best option is meet the DR ENGINEER.
if you need DR eng. you can post here with mentioning you country.

good luck.

Re: HDD platter swap

February 7th, 2019, 1:10

Dananjaya wrote:hi friend
i think you are telling about clicking.
normally this comes from bad heads.
according to your post you have not enough experience for swapping heads. sometimes after head swapping need to repair firmware. sometimes no need to head swap.

so best option is meet the DR ENGINEER.
if you need DR eng. you can post here with mentioning you country.

good luck.


Dear Danajaya hanks for your advice and help

I am from Sri Lanka and I sow in your profile that you are also from Sri lanka

Please advice to contact you

Thanks in advanced

Re: HDD platter swap

February 7th, 2019, 3:50

hi friend.

happy to hear that you are from srilanka.
if i give my details, it will be a ethic problem. bec. this is a supportive forum. so i never hope making a business via this forum. so don't misunderstand. there are few good DR services in srilanka. you can check via internet. but you can't find me on web.
good luck.

Re: HDD platter swap

February 11th, 2019, 23:22

Dear All

As per the advice from the few people I have removed the top cover of HDD in the very clean area and close it visible plastic sheet and power on

What I have observed

1.The platter is spinning well
2.The head go to the platter and come back to it parking and it is happening continuously

Can I solve this kind of issue by updating firmware
Please advice
Thanks in advanced

Re: HDD platter swap

February 12th, 2019, 3:41

hmmm.sound worst.

contact me via email

visualimagemp@gmail.com

Re: HDD platter swap

February 17th, 2019, 16:12

PA3040 wrote:(...)As per the advice from the few people I have removed the top cover of HDD in the very clean area and close it visible plastic sheet and power on
(...)


VERY BAD ADVICE ....

:( :( :(

Re: HDD platter swap

February 18th, 2019, 11:44

Spildit wrote:
PA3040 wrote:(...)As per the advice from the few people I have removed the top cover of HDD in the very clean area and close it visible plastic sheet and power on
(...)


VERY BAD ADVICE ....

:( :( :(


TERRIBLE ADVICE!!

Re: HDD platter swap

February 18th, 2019, 16:33

Initial problem most likely was something like a bunch of bad blocks and damaged G-List (i do get a huge amount of Toshiba with this problem).

With me it would be a simple fix/recovery at a very cheap price. I wilud simply bypass the G-List and clone the drive. Then you could extract the data from the clone in case it wouldn't work directly and they normaly do work directly ....

Now you did open the drive let the dust in and run te drive on that condition. Most likely now heads are gone and platter is damaged due to dust+heads working with open drive, etc ...

IF it's not un-recoverable it will be a LOT expensive to recover and now IT DOES require clean room work and can't be done by someone like me (with firmware tools only) meaning you will not get away with a cheap recovery anymore and if you want to see your data ever again assuming that it's even possible to recover now you will have to pay AT LEAST $600 or more to have the drive "inspected" by someone with a hepa 100 clean room, tools and experience. On your case because you did open the drive expect to pay something like $1500 to $3000 ....

It would have been $300 or EVEN LESS if you did send it to someone with firmware/cloning tools like PC-3000, MRT, HRT-DRE, etc without opening the drive.

Last one that i did with G-List issue it was 500 GB as well (Toshiba) and i bypassed G-List and was able to directly clone the drive. It did work out directly after that (it was external drive). It did had high G-Sense error rate meaning it was dropped. Bypassing G-List and clloning to a drive provided by the client costed only $100 ....

Think twice next time prior to open a drive on open air ...
Post a reply