All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Will HDDGURU Successfully Clone SKY+ 2TB HDD?
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2019, 11:57 

Hello:

I need to clone an old 2TB HDD in an old SKY+ Digibox to a new 2TB HDD for use in a new SKY+ box and I just came upon HDDGURU. Has anyone tried this program for this purpose? It's my understanding that the OS in the SKY boxes doesn't match any of the normal ones so the sectors must be copied exactly as they are! Any help you can provide would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Sparky

Post subject: Re: Will HDDGURU Successfully Clone SKY+ 2TB HDD?
PostPosted: March 29th, 2020, 14:13 

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Hello:

I need to clone an old 2TB HDD in an old SKY+ Digibox to a new 2TB HDD for use in a new SKY+ box and I just came upon HDDGURU. Has anyone tried this program for this purpose? It's my understanding that the OS in the SKY boxes doesn't match any of the normal ones so the sectors must be copied exactly as they are! Any help you can provide would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Sparky

Hi Sparky,

I'm new here but I've been trying to find out the answer to this exact question. I see there were no answers after your original post but wondered if you managed to copy the contents of your old sky+ HDD to a new Sky+ HDD?

My current Sky+ box has served me well over the past 10 years but it has started to fail with HDD errors, unsurprisingly. Being prepared for this about a year ago I purchased a brand new HDD and now want to copy the data from the old drive to the new one. I have done this once before years ago (when I first received this Sky+ box actually) and tried both ExPVR and also COPY+ and both worked really well. I have however been told that these utilities no longer work with the current version of Sky software and as ExPVR & COPY+ have both not been updated in years, its unlikely to support these Sky+ boxes in the future. My thoughts turned to just doing a raw copy of one drive to the other, bit by bit, irrespective of the filesystem on the drives, after a few searches online this is where I ended up.

Hope you had success using this and you can confirm it worked ok so I can get this job started next week.

Thanks,

Richard.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2020, 9:42 

Hi, Richard:

I'm afraid I didn't even try. I too thought of simply copying the drive but I also wanted to delete some things and I couldn't do it if I just copied it!

What I did do, and you might consider it, was to purchase slightly longer cables so that you can change the drives without having to open the case! Just turn off the box and remove the power from it, remove the cables from drive 1 and replace the cables onto drive 2. Then, re-apply the power and away you go.

I am very disappointed with the SKY Community that someone couldn't 'take over' the ExPVR and bring it up to date! I believe (other opinions are available) that SKY must have paid the original creator off so they would stop development of ExPVR. Just my 2 cents worth.

If you find a workable solution, please let this forum know about it!

Sparky

PostPosted: March 30th, 2020, 17:58 

Thanks Sparky,

Yes I had thought of getting some longer cables to do just that but I'll probably just end up taking the box apart anyway. I'm going to try cloning the drive using this HDDGURU software and see what happens. I've got 2 USB drive caddies so it should be fairly straight forward once I can get the drive out of the Sky Box.

I agree, its odd how both ExPVR and Copy+ both seem to have been abandoned at around June 2012, very suspicious. Sky clearly don't want people doing this (no idea why) and the clout they have, it would be easy to shut these developers down.

Cheers,

Richard.