All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Western Digital WD2500JS-00NCB1 - PCB and ROM swap possible?
PostPosted: March 9th, 2019, 5:02 

So, I've got this drive that will NOT spin up.

Closer inspection reveals NO burned component or anything - it's pretty clean, save for a few dust spots here and there.

PCB model for it is 2060-701335-005 REV.A

I have found another Western Digital drive with nearly the same PCB - a WD800JD-00LSA0, PCB model 2060-701335-003 REV A. A quick test with its PCB installed on the 250GB revealed that the drive will spin up (then shutdown though since ROM mismatched I guess).

My question is: will a ROM swap work? Visually ALL chips look the same models (SMOOTH L6283 1.3 on both, Marvell 88i6545-TFJ1 on both PCBs, Samsung K4S641632H-UC60 on both PCBs) but I want to know if it will work fine.

There's no important data on any of the drives so it won't be a problem if it doesn't work. (both came from a guy I know that owns a repair shop and tried to get rid of a bunch of drives, including two 1TB Seagates, one which had BSY error and the other only showed 33MB)

Post subject: Re: Western Digital WD2500JS-00NCB1 - PCB and ROM swap possi
PostPosted: March 9th, 2019, 6:00 

This could be the solution to the "33MB problem":

GigaByte BIOS bug results in loss of 1TB capacity:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=150

As for the WD drive, I can't see why a ROM swap wouldn't work. That said, you might want to check that PUIS (Power Up In Standby) is not enabled (either via a jumper or via the firmware). Otherwise I could help you measure the voltage test points.

Post subject: Re: Western Digital WD2500JS-00NCB1 - PCB and ROM swap possi
PostPosted: March 9th, 2019, 7:46 

I did fix the "33MB" drive already using Seatools for DOS - detected the drive, set it to MAX Capacity and it worked. It was a 7200.12 btw, and for the record my board is a DFI Lanparty DK P45-T2RS.

As for the WD, problem solved, the 250GB is dead as I get clicking.

The Seagate I recovered from BSY is sonewhat suspect though, as occasionally it does some clicking although HD Sentinel reports 100% health. I might check with another drive I have to fix (a 500GB DM series this time - god I hate these so much.) if it does the same. There is something awry with the BSY drive as it wasn't doing these occasional clicks before BSY, and one thing I didn't do that was mentioned in the guide I used was clearing the G-List. It does work at its full speed though.