All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deluge of bad blocks on new USB drive with HDDScan 4.0
PostPosted: March 27th, 2019, 1:07 

Hi, I don't know much about the techs of hard drive but I have read that you should do some check on any new drive to see if it's defective; so my problem is that one month ago I bought a new preformatted Lenovo F310S (actually a Toshiba MQ01ABD100 per HDDScan) USB drive but an initial HDDScan Erase test from first sector of 0 to the last sector with the preset block size (1024) deemed the drive to be basically all bad blocks except a few contiguous ones at the beginning. I realized after that HDDScan's Erase test had the volumes deleted (checked with Windows 10's Disk Management), so I readded a empty volumes and had some other disk scan software scanned it but they just couldn't find any of those bad blocks. Then I had the volumes deleted and retested with HDDScan Erase and now HDDScan shows there is no bad blocks. I then added the volumes back and used HD Tune Pro for an alternative testing and its erase test actually said the volumes must be removed beforehand.

So with HDDScan are you also supposed to delete the volumes on a drive before doing an erase test to get the correct result?

p.s. I also did HDDScan's Erase on a really old (10+ years) and somewhat used USB drive (with no SMART capability I will have you know) with the pre-existing formatting intact and it shockingly had more < 5ms blocks (sized 256) than the new Lenovo/Toshiba drive, but still a deluge of bad blocks, but if I remove the volumes it's all good blocks again.

So are my drive defective or did I do the test wrong or something? I don't quite understand why am I getting so many of the bad blocks here...

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Deluge of bad blocks on new USB drive with HDDScan 4.0
PostPosted: March 27th, 2019, 5:53 

Banned User

Some programs when you do erase on certain drives throws up errors. Scan the drive uing Victoria in Read mode.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2019, 23:05 

cpm0088 wrote:
Some programs when you do erase on certain drives throws up errors. Scan the drive using Victoria in Read mode.

Well I found the 4.72b Windows version of Victoria in this forum. Safe to say I don't really know what I am doing so hopefully I didn't toggle some option the wrong way, though I had a look in the Setup tab and couldn't help but to toggle off the 'I speak Russian" option; so I had the Toshiba drive tested twice using Read with the default values on the Tests tab, once with a volume on the drive and another test without the volume, and both test seems to give no bad block, like HDDScan's Read test. Out of curiosity I adjusted the Timeout to 10ms (don't actually know what that means though) on another Read test with Victoria and instead this time I got a whole slew of Error blocks interspersed with the some 25-blocks here and there--don't know if that's expected.

So I couldn't help but to tried the Write test, this time with the timeout restored to the default 10000ms, and it basically resembles the Erase test from HDDScan (few 25s at the start and all Write Error afterward if a formatted volume was pre-existing, and no bad blocks on the Write test if there was no formatted volume).

Any idea if this mean my drive is bad?

PostPosted: March 28th, 2019, 1:55 

Banned User

drive is not bad, if you got all white blocks on a normal read scan without any adjustments then its all good.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2019, 3:52 

I think your drive is fine, don’t worry about it :-)

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!

PostPosted: May 4th, 2019, 20:55 

Hi,

Thanks for all of your replies

Sorry I haven't respond for so long, my system was kind of dying as I was asking about this and it actually did gave up soon after and it took a while for the repair (sent the computer elsewhere), luckily I did manage to backup all the data with that drive before the crash and it seemed to hold up quite nicely for these weeks. So maybe I was just too paranoid :)

So thanks again.