All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Can't open hard drive data partitions
PostPosted: April 15th, 2019, 6:21 

Spildit wrote:
alphabike wrote:
Thanks to anyone, I'm trying this utility. I have just found another old disk with the same problem, now no important data on it.

Only file system partition visible, no smart, "unknown device 500gb in Linux". Maybe a corrupted firmware? ( I can access to file system partition, a bad fimrware is able to do this? )
I have just started the recovery with Ddrescue, it goes on but With "0" Byte rescued", output file=0 Byte (it seems don't read data).

Any ideas?

If it doesn't read data stop attempting to clone it or you will kill that one as well for good.

What is the full model of that one ? Another Seagate 7200.12 ?

Yes another 7200.12, In past I have seen a lots of drives as this with same problem...I have a lots of drives, that I keep with me for spares. No important data here, only a way to practice.

I thought to the firmware, but with a corrupted firmware, I shouldn't able to see file system partition....

Maybe a partial corrupted firmware?

Post subject: Re: Can't open hard drive data partitions
PostPosted: April 17th, 2019, 11:24 

Spildit wrote:
The majority of 7200.12 drives that one can see nowadays are like this :

Attachment:
1.jpg

Goes without saying that if your drive is on that state it's un-recoverable !!!

DO NOT OPEN THE DRIVE OUTSIDE HEPA 100 CLEAN ROOM.

CHECK DRIVE WITH TTL ADAPTOR !!!

If the drive is still not damaged at platter level and if heads are still fully working drive might have some other problems related to firmware like typical translator issue, partial access to LBA due to bad translator caused by damage to defect lists or drive attempting to add defects, bad blocks, etc ...

If your problem can be fixed by firmware patching and you don't want to pay $600 or more for a full recovery there are cheaper alternatives ...

You can but firmware tools and learn how to use them or you can try to use something like my firmware fixing services ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

If the drive does have traslator issue, etc it would cost you $90.00 USD to fix the firmware and pacth it for easy data extraction (patch sysfile 93 and disable re-location + fix translator, etc) ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seagate-Hard-D ... 3023689172

(this is for any size drive)

Then if you would like for me to image + extract the data it would be more $100 :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Logical-Data-R ... 3016948382

(This is up to 500 GB but if you do buy both services I can extract the data of your 1TB drive for the $190 USD) ...

Goes without saying I DON'T DO CLEAN ROOM WORK so no head stack replacement... It's just fixing whatever problem the firmware have like translator, DOS TABLE, whatever, disable flags on sysfile 93 so that i can image/clone the drive faster and safer and then clone and extract data !!!

If the drive ends up dying in the process (heads die or platter do get damaged) you will end up with partial recovery only ...

READ HERE : - http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=2750

This is as HONEST as you can get ... If your data is realy important you SHOULD BY ALL MEANS consider the use of A REPUTABLE DATA RECOVERY FIRM/BUSINESS with clean room that can inspect heads prior to work with the drive. It will be a lot more expensive but it will be a lot more safe.

If you do want cheap alternatives there are many people out there with firmware tools as well like MRT, even PC-3000 that can provide the same sort of service as me (WITHOUT CLEAN ROOM) it will be cheaper by way more dangerouse to the data as heads might kill the platter while attempting to clone/image or extract the data.

For last there are DO-IT-YOURSELF but you will need AT LEAST something like $500 USD SeDiV to safely backup the firmware and something like HDDSUPERCLONE to clone/image the drive but only after applying pacth to sysfile 93,etc with SeDiv ...

Many thanks for you answer and your alternatives proposed.

Luckily, I haven't to recover data in this case, I'm practicing with old drives with same problems. I work with hard drives, so I have more spares to test.

I'm trying to learning firmware issues and disks problems.

Yes a TTL USB interface is a good way to repair a BSY hdd drive, especially for Seagate models, but my disk is recognized by Bios and I can access to file system partition too.

So, as you said in these cases I should need a diagnostic software that can fix firmware.

How works Sediv? I didn't find a tutorial about it. It seems to work only by port com. Right? What strumentation is needed for use this software? (I searched a lots no informations founded).

Many thanks