Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

how to deal with this WD mypassport 2TB

May 4th, 2019, 9:02

Hi Friends
I have got this WD my passport 2TB as per customer disk asks for format.
This model is not supported in my udma. In sector access disk shows all sectors zero. What could be the issue and possible solution.
Id hardware encryption part is not getting involved is the reason showing all zeros ?(I think it should show garbage instead)
Or WD smartware metadata is corrupt. If anyone has experienced same situation then pls. help.
Attachments
wd 2t1b.jpg
Capture.JPG
56.JPG

Re: how to deal with this WD mypassport 2TB

May 6th, 2019, 10:21

I have faced several similar cases , each time I could not get access.
Is there any solution ? Possibly no one can recover data from WD 2TB drives since acelab does not support these models as of now.

May 6th, 2019, 11:04

Some SMR drives by Western Digital have an issue with the secondary translator that can cause all sectors to be zero. They also support TRIM on some external models, but it most likely a translator issue. You can test the theory on a Spyglass model. Put some data on it, regen translator, power cycle, now data appears as zeros. There are at least 2 new modules involved. You can read some basic info on WD SMR drives here. I'm guessing Doomer has done some advanced research on these so he might want to expand on this.

May 7th, 2019, 22:23

Hi Blizzard
Thanks a ton for detailed explanation :good: :-D
Your post must have enlightened many members who have faced same issue.

May 7th, 2019, 23:38

Short answer - data is gone.

These drives have a bug(or feature) that sometimes causes the secondary translator to become empty.
When it happens data is usually unrecoverable

May 9th, 2019, 10:07

Oh its horrible ,
Thanks a lot Doomer. :good:

May 26th, 2019, 1:45

@Doomer

GLOM!
that's owfully NASTY

Blizzard talks about two new modules to experiment with but I haven't found a thread where those two modules are listed

do you kindly know their numbers?
Thank you

May 26th, 2019, 10:11

Corsari wrote:@Doomer

GLOM!
that's owfully NASTY

Blizzard talks about two new modules to experiment with but I haven't found a thread where those two modules are listed

do you kindly know their numbers?
Thank you

I updated the end of the post a few days ago with a little more information and the mod numbers.

May 26th, 2019, 10:44

I should add, the testing we have done was only with 3-4TB SPyglass models. The experimental information is unrelated to Charger and Palmer and the post was just supposed to be an introduction to new SSD-like translation.

May 26th, 2019, 22:57

Modules 189 & 190 on Spyglass. Beware: GOOD modules register as corrupted (checksum error) with PC3K.

May 30th, 2019, 16:43

yeah, we cursed seagates for using MC. WDs do it the other way, which is a lot more prone to leave us without data apparently...
Post a reply