All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SCSI Cage: RAID-10 hard disks stop
PostPosted: June 20th, 2019, 5:34 

Good morning, I’m writing to get help for a my SCSI Cage, which can be fitted with five U320 hard disks, which have problems for some time.

In this cage of the five hard disks I now have (use) only two (in this moment no mirroring), which in RAID-10 (146GB+146GB=approx 292GB) contain the operating system of my PC Tower (Windows 10).
It happens, this week much more frequently than long ago, that the two hard drives in RAID-10 work very hard and suddenly stop (without apparent reason), clearly blocking my computer (the drive C: with OS work in this hard drives in RAID-10). Then if I turn the PC off and on again the hard drives restart but then after a while the same problem occurs again.
I proceeded to replace the power supply of the PC (about 900 watts) and the Cage SCSI U320 (with internal cable U320). Now they are both new. Now the possible failures (it’s my idea) can be: one or both SCSI U320 hard drives (146GB each) or the Adaptec 39320A controller installed. When this crash occurs Windows 10 show a light blu screen and the two hard drives in the SCSI Cage restart for read information about the error (load from 0% to 100%). Ultimate this operation I can only turn the PC off.

What failure can this behavior cause? Maybe the PCB of one of the two hard disks has some faulty component (capacitors or other chips) or Adaptec 39320A controller (faulty component on the controller board)? I think it’s a hardware problem and not software.

Post subject: Re: SCSI Cage: RAID-10 hard disks stop
PostPosted: June 25th, 2019, 4:17 

1) Two drives in raid with double capacity and spreading stripes across both of them is RAID0 not a raid 10 (which needs minimum 3 drives)
2) If you see your disks as independant drives, means Raid0 configuartion is no longer found . Probably metadaa already cleaned.
3) Still not clear what goal do you want to archive. If you need make RAID again, just create new configuation. If you need data,you have to create virtual raid under proper software , find parametres, like stripe size, order, offset etc.

Why that happend we cant tell you without reseraching system logs. Probably simple system corruption by any reasons (bads, virus, windows bug etc)