Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Best internal HDD for a beginner?

June 12th, 2019, 1:30

Hello everyone,,
So I want to join the ranks of data hoarders - I have always been one at heart but right now my files are stored on a pretty classic setup, a 120 GB WD Green SSD + 1 TB WD Blue HDD, and I am running out of space.

I am considering either a 2 TB WD Red or a 2 TB Seagate Ironwolf. I can't shuck bigger capacity WD Easystores because apparently these are not available in my country and other WD external drives of that size cost almost $500. However in the case of both drives I read a lot of reviews complaining about bad sectors so I am unsure which one I should get. I am considering a WD Black as an alternative. I don't really care about noise. What would you recommend?

Re: Best internal HDD for a beginner?

June 12th, 2019, 8:46

Lincon12 wrote:Hello everyone,,
So I want to join the ranks of data hoarders - I have always been one at heart but right now my files are stored on a pretty classic setup, a 120 GB WD Green SSD + 1 TB WD Blue HDD, and I am running out of space.

I am considering either a 2 TB WD Red or a 2 TB Seagate Ironwolf. I can't shuck bigger capacity WD Easystores because apparently these are not available in my country and other WD external drives of that size cost almost $500. However in the case of both drives I read a lot of reviews complaining about bad sectors so I am unsure which one I should get. I am considering a WD Black as an alternative. I don't really care about noise. What would you recommend?

actually I would recommend google drive or similar. As you don't mention backups, then one bad luck incident, no matter what you choose, means everything gone.

Probably another WD Blue or black will be quite fine for you.
Post a reply