Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

what could be Exact technical issue in rebuilding rom

June 25th, 2019, 0:41

I am working on a WD Tornado family disk --- WD3200AVJS -63TBA0 PCB rev. PWB - 2060-701444-003 Rev.A ) ,Its original pcb is bricked.
This model has embedded rom within mcu.
I have arranged donor pcb fro same family model , there is slight difference in pcb rev though.
I am following procedure as per acelab video.When powered from donor pcb it clicks and spins down.
After loading permanant overlay disk get initiated from rom & shows ROM model, firmware ,capacity (partial) etc.
When I proceed for next step I could get SA SPT as well , but when tried to load dir in ram , disk gives errors and I could not proceed further.I cant read modules in SA as well , in short I get errors like LBA 0 translation error etc.
What to blame now -- difference in pcb rev / non compatible loader / weak heads , SA defects or anything else.

Re: what could be Exact technical issue in rebuilding rom

June 25th, 2019, 2:07

Wrong DIR address in mod 0B of donor ROM.
Try to read tracks and find modules 01, 02 , 11, 1B ...

June 25th, 2019, 21:09

Thanks BGman ,
Unfortunately now disk is not coming to DRD DSC but busy & SATA II (phy) led are flashing. What this could mean.

June 26th, 2019, 2:41

posidon wrote: What this could mean.

It means that you have done something wrong.
If the data is important to you, send the drive to a DR company. If not, just trash it.

June 29th, 2019, 14:58

posidon wrote:Thanks BGman ,
Unfortunately now disk is not coming to DRD DSC but busy & SATA II (phy) led are flashing. What this could mean.

That is mean you killed donor PCB trying to write improper version of rom . Get another one , or better, couple of them.

July 1st, 2019, 3:31

Thanks a ton Spildit
I did exactly what you said and fortunately could recover all data. Your post came just in time when I was about to give up the case. :D :good:

July 1st, 2019, 10:37

posidon wrote:Thanks a ton Spildit
I did exactly what you said and fortunately could recover all data. Your post came just in time when I was about to give up the case. :D :good:

Give up the case just because of an incorrect ROM version!!! If you are a data recovery engineer you will get a lot tougher cases than this one.

July 1st, 2019, 13:32

congratulations SPILDIT and POSIDON
Post a reply