Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

$900 for data recovery

August 20th, 2019, 20:34

I have a USB Seagate 1TB drive that failed that as about 25% full. Its not longer even seen by Windows. I tried some Seagate tools but since the OS cant see the drive these tools dont see the drive either. I tried Disk Drill Data Recovery which offers a free 500G recovery but no luck there. I then called a data recovery company and they estimated $900 to recover.
Are there any DIY procedures or software I can try.
Thanks for the tips!

Re: $900 for data recovery

August 20th, 2019, 21:47

If you value your data, professional data recovery service is what you should seek. Assuming $900 is in USD, I'd say that should be close to the high end price, but it may not be so bad and possibly cost a lot less. Though, there are some labs whose prices just get started around $900 and go up from there. It is all perspective.

August 20th, 2019, 22:07

Connect the drive to a TTL adapter and show us the terminal log.

August 21st, 2019, 7:32

900$ is normal for a lot of lab. Its also possible 300-500 in many labs.
You may give log here

August 22nd, 2019, 5:44

You tell that you called the data recovery company, so I assume they didn't see the drive and quoted by phone for the "worst case scenario".
The fact that your hard drive is only 25% full, doesn't matter much depending on the failure, but the diagnosis is essential.

Some (pre-)diagnosis can be done remotely with your collaboration.

One need to know more before advising anything, in order to not give you bad instructions that could further damage your hard drive.

Can you please tell more about your drive ?
Is it in 2.5'' or 3.5'' format ?
Did you drop it on the ground?
Did you hear some special sound when you plugged it in, like (alarms or some buzzing sound)?
Can you open the enclosure (carefully) and tell the exact model of the drive within it, or at leat tell the model number that is written on the enclosure?

August 22nd, 2019, 13:43

Agree, all a data recovery can provide is a “guesstimate” as they haven’t seen the drive. So, as SOSdonnees says, it’s probably a worst case scenario estimate.

I bet you’d soon complain if they said the “estimate” is $300 and then when they got it and found it was seriously damaged so quoted $900!
Post a reply