All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maxtor Firmware issues
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2019, 14:24 

Hello,
I have an old Maxtor 83240D4 that has a firmware issue.
I have a RapidSpar and was told that the drive is to old for tho RapidSpar to repair the firmware.
I am looking for advice on which tools I would need in order to repair the FW of this drive.

Post subject: Re: Maxtor Firmware issues
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2019, 23:08 

PCB hot swap. Match the drive, get the donor drive online and working, put it to sleep (stop motor), remove the PCB and install it into the patient drive. You might want a well magnetized screwdriver AND a non-conductive pair of tweezers to grab the screws. Drop a screw on the powered PCB and you might be "screwed" in yet another way. Also, I have heard of people new to this practice using non-conductive screws, too.

You can't do this with a Rapidspar because it doesn't have the ability to send motor start and stop commands on user request, and you don't want to power the drive off because then you will need to do it all again.

A PC with MHDD and a raw imaging too for DOS will be great. This drive is small, so use copyrdma, which is freeware, or some other program. Just copy onto a blank drive of equal or greater capacity and then make an image file with dd, of the correct number of sectors.

Assuming the drive just has a firmware problem and is mechanically healthy, this will work.

Post subject: Re: Maxtor Firmware issues
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2019, 13:23 

Quote:
PCB hot swap. Match the drive, get the donor drive online and working, put it to sleep (stop motor), remove the PCB and install it into the patient drive. You might want a well magnetized screwdriver AND a non-conductive pair of tweezers to grab the screws. Drop a screw on the powered PCB and you might be "screwed" in yet another way. Also, I have heard of people new to this practice using non-conductive screws, too.

You can't do this with a Rapidspar because it doesn't have the ability to send motor start and stop commands on user request, and you don't want to power the drive off because then you will need to do it all again.

A PC with MHDD and a raw imaging too for DOS will be great. This drive is small, so use copyrdma, which is freeware, or some other program. Just copy onto a blank drive of equal or greater capacity and then make an image file with dd, of the correct number of sectors.

Assuming the drive just has a firmware problem and is mechanically healthy, this will work.

Thanks for the advice!