Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Conner CP-2024

August 26th, 2019, 13:48

I have an old T1000LE that won't power on. I haven't even tried to power it on in over 25 years. I thought I had everything backed up on floppies but those are blank. I need to extract TXT files but the drive isn't cooperating using a IDE to USB adapter. The drive is recognized but unable to access. Is there a utility or program available to read this drive through a USB and windows 10 machine?

Re: Conner CP-2024

August 26th, 2019, 15:27

Scudrunner wrote:I have an old T1000LE that won't power on. I haven't even tried to power it on in over 25 years. I thought I had everything backed up on floppies but those are blank. I need to extract TXT files but the drive isn't cooperating using a IDE to USB adapter. The drive is recognized but unable to access. Is there a utility or program available to read this drive through a USB and windows 10 machine?

Hi ,
Its Old You Will Need PIO Access And Might Be Feedin Exact Parameters into BIOS From HDD Label .Try a OLD Board What Has Such Kinda Support And Native IDE Interface

August 26th, 2019, 16:47

Linux can handle those older drives which are limited to CHS mode.

HDDSuperClone can handle them, too:
https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?t=33291

August 26th, 2019, 17:55

For further reference, that leads to more references:
https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php ... 84#p262884

August 26th, 2019, 18:03

Scudrunner wrote:I have an old T1000LE that won't power on. I haven't even tried to power it on in over 25 years. I thought I had everything backed up on floppies but those are blank. I need to extract TXT files but the drive isn't cooperating using a IDE to USB adapter. The drive is recognized but unable to access. Is there a utility or program available to read this drive through a USB and windows 10 machine?

Oh, that USB adapter may not be able to handle the CHS. Even Linux can't fix that. You will likely need a motherboard with an IDE(PATA) connector. As indicated from my link to more links, you don't need an old motherboad, just one that has a physical connector for the drive. But modern Windows cannot read it, you would have to have XP or older, which is why it is much easier to use a Linux live CD.

August 27th, 2019, 15:17

I have an old laptop here and try Linux... this will be a new experience. I've never used it before. I'll let you know.

August 27th, 2019, 16:55

Scudrunner wrote:I have an old laptop here and try Linux... this will be a new experience. I've never used it before. I'll let you know.

How do you plan on connecting the drive to the laptop?

I think that Hirens Boot CD (XP based) will also work to access the drive, if you really want to use Windows. I say "I think" because I don't remember for sure.
Post a reply