Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

How to completely destroy a Hard Disk's data?

August 28th, 2019, 20:33

Hello guys,

So I was wondering of ways I can totally wipe out a hard disk without actually destroying it phyisically. I have a tought trying to do so, by completely filling up the disk space to its maximum capacity then deleting the unecessarry data and doing that over and over couple of times. Would that possibly clear and re-write all sectors so previous data is not recoverable?

Thanks in advance.

Re: How to completely destroy a Hard Disk's data?

August 28th, 2019, 20:40

Barring firmware bugs, an ATA Enhanced Secure Erase is all you need to do.

August 29th, 2019, 0:37

Low level format will be enough. Just test. Run format (not quick). And scan with PRO data recovery software. You will not find anything:)

August 29th, 2019, 6:53

Iurii wrote:Low level format will be enough. Just test. Run format (not quick). And scan with PRO data recovery software. You will not find anything:)

+1 easiest way

August 29th, 2019, 7:08

Iurii wrote:Low level format will be enough. Just test. Run format (not quick). And scan with PRO data recovery software. You will not find anything:)

that should be enough.

August 29th, 2019, 10:18

jamesonfan wrote:Hello guys,

So I was wondering of ways I can totally wipe out a hard disk without actually destroying it phyisically. I have a tought trying to do so, by completely filling up the disk space to its maximum capacity then deleting the unecessarry data and doing that over and over couple of times. Would that possibly clear and re-write all sectors so previous data is not recoverable?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Young Man ,
This is what i use for erasing multiple hdds at a time - > https://www.killdisk.com/eraser.html

August 29th, 2019, 10:31

For SMR drives I wouldn’t be that sure ;) They have spare zones for user area which are not easy to wipe them all out with normal rewriting. For my opinion , best and fastest way is degaussing.

September 11th, 2019, 17:13

there are a couple of 'DR' companies successful in destroying data as well :P

September 11th, 2019, 17:25

pepe wrote:there are a couple of 'DR' companies successful in destroying data as well :P

Good one pepe :lol: :lol: :lol:
Post a reply