All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: USB to SATA conversion failed on Toshiba MQ01USB100 ?
PostPosted: September 11th, 2019, 9:58 

Dear community,

after following misc posts across these forums for some time which had helped me a lot in the past, I chose to register today as I'm experiencing issues with a defunct Toshiba MQ01USB100.

I had a similar case a few years ago and remembered that I once successfully converted the USB-based-PCB to a SATA one transplanting IC602 as e.g. mentioned in https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?t=28898 or https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26163.

The drive that had become inaccessible:
Toshiba MQ01USB100
Drive Rev.: AZA AA00/AX001U
Date: JUL 2014
PCB-Rev: G003250A

Looking for a donor I got a:
Toshiba MQ01ABD100
Drive Rev.: AAT AB31/AX1P4M
Date: MAR 2016
PCB-Rev: G003235C

I checked the donor drive and it seemed to work without issues.
Searching the internet gave no evidence that a conversion from G003250A to G003235C was tried before or that it had worked.

After transplanting IC602 from patient to donor however, the hdd still refuses to become recognizable and makes a series of clicking noises quite soon (~2-3 sec.) after spinning up. it used to click before but AFAIR the clicking started at a later stage and sounded somewhat less distressing. To me, there were no acoustic signs of loose or sticky heads at any time thats why i tried the conversion.
I recorded the series of clicking sounds and encoded with Opus-codec and put it in attached .zip as neither .opus nor .mp3 seems to be an allowed extension for uploads on hddguru. Unfortunately I didn't record the disk's sounds with it original USB-board...

I've also measured the current during the initial spinup-phase as seen in attached image.

Now I'm wondering where to head next; any suggestions on what to try? I'm wondering if the conversion itself worked and e.g. the heads are an issue with this disk. Hope there is some hope left?

Cheers!

Attachments:
File comment: clicking sounds after conversion
toshiba_MQ01USB100_after-conv.opus.zip [147.56 KiB]
Downloaded 484 times
File comment: current on 5V
toshiba_MQ01USB100_5V_after-conv.png
toshiba_MQ01USB100_5V_after-conv.png [ 30.79 KiB | Viewed 5170 times ]