Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Repaior an HD after a power outage

September 18th, 2019, 23:00

I had a power failure on the strip that my PC was on during a full Clone backup using older Norton Ghost. The target was hosed. I used HDDLLF from Guru on that one.
I'm trying to get ot he point of re initializing the drive.

Right now BIOS sees it ok. Seatools in Windows sees it as a device. A Seatools diagnostic failed. I can't say what it found: microscopic type showed up after the Windows version of the program "broke" and recorded some error.

Thisd Seagate Barracuda does not seem dead but repairable. Would Seagate Seatools for DOS contain a fix?

Or am I just failing to see how run initialize? I had the Admin Manage Device area open, but in that the HD does not appear below the boot drive,
only C:

Could rerunning LLF provide a fresh start for doing an initialize?

Re: Repaior an HD after a power outage

September 18th, 2019, 23:12

Well my face is red. Next try at it I must have entered Manage Storage the right way and performed the Simple format which is what I wanted. The drive no appears in Explorer.

September 19th, 2019, 1:08

I have the one problem solved by wiping a disk after a power failure during a clone backup. The remaining problem is the source drive. I have tried using Win7 Repair disk to refresh MBR and Fixboot. That did not restore bootup nor did the Win7 Repair options.

The files area shows but I do not know a path to the Desktop on which some large folders are stored.

Please provide how a path to the desktop which is not the boot drive can be found.

I have been using a program called "Everything" which is a marvel at finding files on the boot drive. Is there a way I could use that or something similar to extract the folders?

For any interest here is a link to Everything which is freeware:

https://www.voidtools.com/

Or, as I said above, could the DOS version of Seatools or other freeware be used to get that HD to boot up and function normally? It reports ok in BIOS. But having a power interrupt has messed booting up the drive. So two questions.

Any advice appreciated.

September 19th, 2019, 17:41

Progress.
Found the location of Desktop on D: in CMD with help of a google search.
What I need is a program ISO (perhaps) CD that can display drives C and D and drag and drop what is needed.

I'm weak on DOS commands. Also how to display CMD so it doesn't wink out and so on.
Apologies for the spelling gaffe.

September 19th, 2019, 17:52

1) take out the drive you need files from, or get or build a PC with good drives and good windows and add the faulty drive as an extra drive.
2) use data recovery software such as R-Studio or GetDataBack to recover files.

if you can see stuff with CMD, should have a good result.

"Everything" "CMD" etc are for use on good drives/filesystems. you are using the wrong tools.

you don't know what the path to the desktop is? try googling it.

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Desktop

Code:
C:\Users\admin>cd C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Desktop

C:\Users\admin\Desktop>

should get you there

or look at

[url]https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/e218dadd-c942-45dc-a0af-28d8e51e351b/how-to-point-to-current-user-desktop-in-command-line-?forum=winserverpowershell[/ur]l

September 19th, 2019, 17:53

loninappleton wrote: Also how to display CMD so it doesn't wink out and so on.

CMD /k
Post a reply