Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Seagate ST500LM000 SSHD detects as 11 TB drive

October 9th, 2019, 13:57

Greetings,

i have this drive in for data recovery. I don't have any high-end recovery tech, mostly free software. So in Disk Management this disk is detected as 11 TB drive, sometimes it shows as 1 TB or 500 GB which is correct value. I cant initialize it. Recovery software scans it but without any data found. Open for any suggestions. Thank you for your time :)

Re: Seagate ST500LM000 SSHD detects as 11 TB drive

October 10th, 2019, 3:33

Hello,

as always, a terminal log might be helpful for diagnosing a problem. However, the symptom you described is odd. It will be hard to tread it right without tools because from behind a windows driver you can't see how it really behaves. So i would rather say take it to somebody with proper knowledge and equipment instead of guessing.

pepe

October 10th, 2019, 4:35

pepe wrote:Hello,

as always, a terminal log might be helpful for diagnosing a problem. However, the symptom you described is odd. It will be hard to tread it right without tools because from behind a windows driver you can't see how it really behaves. So i would rather say take it to somebody with proper knowledge and equipment instead of guessing.

pepe

+1

And, why are you trying to initialize a drive for data recovery?

October 10th, 2019, 6:28

How can I create this log file? I just provided information about that i can't initialize it :) Sorry new at this but want to learn.

October 10th, 2019, 8:36

The fact that you are even trying to initialize the drive indicates you are nowhere near qualified to be attempting data recovery....period!

Get the drive to a professional.

Experimentation should be done on old junk drives that you don't need to get data back from. If you want to learn, go to some computer shops, ask them for bad/broken drives and practice recovering data from those. Don't attempt to learn while risking someone's data.

Doctors practice on cadavers (dead bodies) not live patients.

October 10th, 2019, 9:05

Case Closed.

October 10th, 2019, 14:56

If the goal is to recover data, never ever initialize a drive, as it will cause more logical damage via overwriting.

October 11th, 2019, 13:12

labtech wrote:If the goal is to recover data, never ever initialize a drive, as it will cause more logical damage via overwriting.

Thank you for this information. :)
Post a reply