All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: produce a new hard drive as exact copy of exsting hard drive
PostPosted: November 8th, 2019, 19:12 

The more I read/learn the more I realize how ignorant I am on this subject and consequently the more likely I will not be successful with out knowledgeable guidance. I apologize in advance for my rudimentary question vs the much more complex issues typically discussed herein.

I have a HP ProBook 450 G1 with a 750GB Toshiba MQ01ABD075 SCSI hard drive (NTFS format) listed in device manager as an ACPIx64 based PC. The drive is partitioned C: 734 GB, D:(HP recovery) 11.9 GB and E: (HP Tools) 1.99 GB. Windows 7 64 bit Professional is the OS. There are USB 2 and USB 3 ports and DVD player in laptop. The hard drive is old but fully functional.
The new hard drive is a Hitachi HGST Travelstar 0S03563 9.5mm 1TB SATA Hard Drive.

What would be appropriate software and hardware to DIY make the new hard drive to its full 1 TB capacity a fully operational copy of the existing hard drive . Would HDD Raw Copy Tool software be suitable with what hardware?

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: produce a new hard drive as exact copy of exsting hard d
PostPosted: November 9th, 2019, 13:00 

WD provides an OEM version of Acronis True Image. This software can proportionately expand partitions to fill the target drive. However, I'm not sure if HGST drives are now covered by the same software.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en

PostPosted: November 9th, 2019, 13:59 

If your 750gb drive is healthy then any simple cloning software will do the job. I used the trial version of Acronis Migrate Easy last week which is a full working product limited only by time (about 10 days, I think). It will clone in proportion so you will have more space on the drive. There are loads of similar products available. Just make sure it gives the clone a drive letter as some don't seem to do this. Easily done in Disk Management in Windows.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2019, 14:49 

Thanks. Please suggest what specific electronic hardware to use to connect the the new hard to the laptop to accomplish the cloning? Please realize what is obvious to you is a rubics cube puzzle to me.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2019, 14:51 

I assume the software you mentioned will assign the required drive letter to the new drive?
Thanks.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2019, 14:52 

Just a simple sata to usb cable from your local shop or Amazon is enough. Remember though, this sort of cloning is only for drives that are working fine but aren't large enough for your needs. If there are faults on the drive you could make things worse and maybe lose some or all of your data.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2019, 14:53 

I had to assign the drive myself when I cloned a drive the other day. Easy enough to do in Computer Management - Disk Management in Windows. Usually the drive letter is assigned automatically, at least in my experience.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2019, 12:01 

alfarom wrote:
Just a simple sata to usb cable from your local shop or Amazon is enough. Remember though, this sort of cloning is only for drives that are working fine but aren't large enough for your needs. If there are faults on the drive you could make things worse and maybe lose some or all of your data.

Well the drive continues to boot when I ask it to but beyond that I have no clue if there is anything wrong with it. It is an old drive with lots of use and I want to replace it before it may crash because it is old and support for my Windows 7 ends January 2020 so if it crashes after that I am screwed. I have all my data on an external back up hard drive. It is the operating system with all the updates that I want to save. I plan to have all my data on the external drive and erase all my data from the source drive before cloning it to the new drive. The target drive being bigger is a bonus to do while I am at it.

So how can the source drive loose some of its data when cloning to another drive? I assumed that the source drive would just be reading what is on it during the cloning and that would not cause any risk to itself. Will the cloning software generate internal read/write on the source drive as part of the cloning that would put the source drive at risk? Or do you mean that some or all of the data might not get transferred to the new target drive but still remain on the source drive? I had purchased a AHDDUB100 Aluratek External SATA Portable External Hard Drive Duplicator to clone the drive but then learned its use caused irreversible loss of the source drive for more than one or two users. That is why I came to DDDGURU looking for knowledgeable guidance on what is the safest software and hardware to use to clone a hard drive. I have already learned some important facts from you responses.

If the cloning software requires a risky read /write on the source drive during the cloning process that puts the source drive at risk, is it because I want to have a 1TB hard drive clone from the 750 GB source drive when I am done? If that is the case I would rather just clone the 750 HD as a new 750 HD on the 1TB HD. I would rather later use something like Patrician Magic to expand the new drive to it's 1TB at a later date. Guidance please.

I also previously purchased a Protronix Universal SATA Optical Bay 2nd Hard Drive Caddy for to install the new hard drive in the laptop and clone the source drive to the new drive that way. I read that it is often not a perfect fit and fragile so consequently prone to being damaged during install into lap top. I have not tried to install it as yet. Any knowledge as to is this good hardware for cloning?

Did you say it will take 10 days to clone my drive with the software you mentioned? If yes is 10 days normal for cloning a hard drive?

Sorry for all the questions but I did mention I know nothing. Thanks for any and all info you can share.

Again I am a total neophyte on this subject so again sorry.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2019, 13:50 

Please disregard my question time to clone HD... I misread what was said.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2019, 14:37 

I am using some time this smallest easy clone program . Check In link 3th message

https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38648

PostPosted: November 11th, 2019, 18:28 

HddDonorMarket wrote:
I am using some time this smallest easy clone program . Check In link 3th message

https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38648

That is a very interesting and informative forum topic.. It sounds like HDDSuperClone operated from flash drive might be the safest cloning software should there be any unknown bad sectors or heads on my source drive. It was noted that HDDSuperClone does not check for any hidden HPA/DCO on a drive so question is that important?

How easy or tricky is HDDSuperClone to use? Pros? Cons?

PostPosted: November 12th, 2019, 14:58 

I did a CrystalDiscInfo scan which reported no sector reallocations nor pending sectors so it would appear it is safe to do a simple software clone to the new hard drive.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2019, 15:20 

alfarom, "...I used the trial version of Acronis Migrate Easy..." which version of windows did this work on? I'm very curious :)

PostPosted: November 12th, 2019, 20:32 

RolandJS wrote:
alfarom, "...I used the trial version of Acronis Migrate Easy..." which version of windows did this work on? I'm very curious :)

The CrystalDiscInfo was used on Windows 7 64 bit Professional. Their web site indicate it would work on just about everything back to XP and Vista. There was separate version for Dos. It was mentioned in one the the many HDDGuru posts I have searched to get up to speed on cloning, specifically how not to screw up the hard drive.