Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Synology DiskStation Question

November 8th, 2019, 21:31

This is not a need to recover question, but a question about how easy or hard it would be to recover, and how the hybrid raid works, and also maybe if the hard drive activity lights are accurate. I have a Synology DiskStation DS418 that I configured for Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR). In theory it would be the equivalent of raid 5. But I notice that during data transfers, the lights for the drive activity are most active for only disk 3 and 4, leaning more heavy on 4. The size of the usage is currently low for the total size, so I just wonder if it is only really using only those two disks for the current storage. Can anyone explain what I am seeing? And also, since it is not standard raid, how easy or hard it would be to recover data from SHR, should the need ever arise, such as the unit failing?

Re: Synology DiskStation Question

November 9th, 2019, 4:08

Dear Maximus,

SHR is more complex than normal RAID. It consists of different RAID types connected as JBOD / LVM. So SHR is a RAID 5 (smallest drives) plus RAID 1 over the left space. If one drive from RAID 5 fails you still are fine. If one drive from RAID 1 fails you loose one part from RAID 5 and one part of RAID 1 and still are ok. If you add more storage the RAID 1 will be migrated to RAID 5, leaving a JBOD with two RAID 5.

Why only two LEDs show so much activity: I don't know, I would also expect more activity on other hdds.

Kind regards,

Re: Synology DiskStation Question

November 9th, 2019, 8:42

All four of the drives are the same size (and model), and it provides the usable space of a RAID 5. So then I would assume it is only working as RAID 5. Maybe then the activity of the lights is not accurate, because I would expect them to all show about the same activity.

Thanks for explaining the SHR, I wondered how that allowed for different size drives.
Post a reply