All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can Surveillance Hard Drives are compatible to use in PC
PostPosted: December 11th, 2019, 1:42 

I have read that AV drives are not suitable to use in PC's as they are specifically designed for write operations (90% write , 10% read)
Video and surveillance HDDs support video streaming firmware designed and built for write performance. These come with enhanced write functionality that ensures first-rate performance and better drive durability for DVR, media center or video security applications. The surveillance HDDs firmware is custom built for streaming videos – captures every pixel while streaming HD videos.
Unlike desktop hard disk drives, the AV-GP is designed to skip error correction in favour of
completing commands on time. This prevents a disruption of the video or audio stream due to time consuming
error correction routines at the expense of some bad data. This is great for CE-type
applications like recording video and audio streams off cable or CCTV feeds. A few off-colour pixels
are far less noticeable than a few missing frames.
My question is whether latest generation of drives still use same logic and are not suitable for normal desktop use ?
Attached is Toshiba Surveillance Hard Drive specs sheet. It is well built drive with 24X7 capability , 110TB workload capacity per year.MTTF 1,000,000 hours.
Since there is hugh price difference in enterprise & Surveillance Hard drive pricing. If modern drives particularly this model is compatible for PC uses then I can promote this instead of enterprise.
Those who have worked on both drives may know internal design / firmware and performance parameters of both drives,

Attachments:
showarticlebda7.html-artno=659&pgno=.pdf [381.31 KiB]
Downloaded 295 times
AV drives1.JPG
AV drives1.JPG [ 92.2 KiB | Viewed 3253 times ]
AV drives.JPG
AV drives.JPG [ 83.07 KiB | Viewed 3253 times ]
S300-Surveillance-Hard-Drive.pdf (1).pdf [2 MiB]
Downloaded 289 times

Post subject: Re: Can Surveillance Hard Drives are compatible to use in PC
PostPosted: December 11th, 2019, 3:27 

AV drives support the ATA Streaming command set in addition to, not instead of, regular read and write commands. Therefore I see them as a superset of regular desktop drives.

Ask yourself, does a DVR skip error correction when it is writing metadata to, or reading metadata from, its file system? Of course not. That's because it uses regular READ/WRITE SECTOR commands for the metadata, and READ/WRITE STREAM commands for the AV data. ISTR that Seagate had a tech note which explained this.

In fact one day soon I will be building a PC using a WD drive from a DVR. I'll let you know how it goes.