All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ST1000DM003 CC49 - how to proceed?
PostPosted: February 19th, 2020, 1:55 

Hello there, i have a barracuda ST1000DM003 CC49 HDD that is giving me problems. trying to recover data from it.

it was on a windows 7 computer. while accesing some files stored in the drive, it started to present read glitches and it hanged up the OS, after reboot the drive was not recognized anymore.

so i took to a friend that works in a datacenter. on a linux system at first we didnt get luck recognizing the disk, so we tried swapping boards with some other st1000 drives lying around, no luck, afer putting the original board again and some more tries the drive was recognized. (using sas conection if im correct). oh, the drive sounds normal, no strange clicks or anything.

so we ran ddrescue for almost a week, first day it recovered almost 100gb, the next days it went way slower, 2gb a day and almost no progress last day hooked. at that point a gave the drive a rest and took it to a recovery business. they made a free diagnostic saying that the firmware is bad. 700usd to fix that and recover whatever they can. still havent gone to take my hdd back cause im not leaving it with them. i think they jut plugged the drive a couple of times and after no response asumed that the firmware is corrupted. but trying several times should make it detectable (as we did it).

my friend has a basic cell phone cable to connect to the service pins.

as you can see we are not experts here, my friend says he doesnt believe its the firmware as we wouldnt have been able to recover a bit over 100gb... so one possibility is to run ddrescue again..with tons of patience (but im worried about stressing the disc). i dont have any ideas, currently reading whatever i find on the net. read that if the drive doesn't show the firmware version then it can be corrupted. i would check stuff like that to find indicators about faulty firmware(any tips?). maybe its time to use the service pins (dont know hot to call em, sorry).

dont know whats the smartest way to proceeed and thats where i wanted advice. with these symptoms maybe you could point me a bit.

PS: the drive has 2 partitions and most of the info recovered is from the first partition, and as always, im trying to get the info from the second partition (i know that, so if i run ddrescue now it would be focused there of course).

thanks a lot and sorry for the bad english. any pointers are greatly apreciated.

Post subject: Re: ST1000DM003 CC49 - how to proceed?
PostPosted: February 20th, 2020, 1:13 

dont wanna be a pusher but i need urgent help /advice as tomorrow is when i have to decide if i leave the hdd with the recovery company or take it on my own.

options:

-pay em 700usd and let the company recover what they can (may there firmware diagnostic be correct?)
-running ddrescue for a long while and seeing what i can recover
-checking the firmware someway and maybe reloading it via cell phone cable (service pins)
-??

by the way, one of the most important files is a small .txt file...sadly its in the most destroyed partition (or less recovered)..and yes 700usd is a lot of money for me.

guide me please!

PostPosted: February 20th, 2020, 7:05 

i definitely think this job is not DIY, drive has physical damage, plust probably it developed either severe media damage or some firmware problem during the long torture.

post here the terminal log at least so that we can see what's going on.

pepe

PostPosted: February 20th, 2020, 8:16 

If it is a lab who gives a price range starting at $700, it won't be $700. They never are.

Where are you located? There are members here from all around the world who offer much more affordable rates and more personalized service.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2020, 11:54 

thanks a lot for the replies.
im from Santiago, Chile, southamerica. do you guys know of anyone from here? yeah i would love to deal with a more personalized person who could help me, it is a big city so maybe...
(just did some searchs on the forum and only found a couple members with few post from yeas ago, but lets hope my searchs suck and there is someone.)

for now i will recover the hdd from the company and get terminal info. thanks again.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2020, 12:00 

hi there, after reading the newbie stickies from this board and some other info its clear that as suggested i need to find someone to do the job, thats the quest now. but i got one big question i think you guys could help me out.

--->is it possible to have a corrupted/bad firmware yet still recover over 10% of info from a hdd? (using ddrescue-a byte per byte copy software).
or is this recovery a sign that the problem is elsewhere?

i ask cause i read this:
skyunlimited wrote:
Modern disks normally have their firmware codes located on data platters and also the PCB board. If the firmware area is corrupted, the drive will appear to have failed even all the electrical and mechanical components are still fully functional.

* be recognized incorrectly in the BIOS, the computer will then often hang
* Drive powers up, but is recognized wrongly, sometimes with nonsensical characters, manufacture alias (Such as N40p for Maxtor 6Y and etc ;)
* Drive powers up, but is not recognized /defected by the computer
* Drive freezes during booting up;
* Drive detect in wrong Capacity, such as 80 GB detected as 1Mb;
* be recognized as 0 bytes in size
* S.M.A.R.T error;
* Drive is locked by human error; such as Hitachi hard drive by a drop; it is a self protection method of HDD design;
* Drive clicking ;( it can be caused by firmware too, the heads try to read the SA on platters and can not positing ;)
* run slowly make a regular ticking noise at start up

he describes possible symptoms but not sure about partial recovery could mean (like the one i did on my hdd).
thanks.

PS: later i will be able to connect the hdd to terminal and see what info i can get , so i can post it here.